Canon 350D

Started by jplxpto, October 21, 2012, 02:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplxpto

Hello everybody

Besides from me, there must be someone else who has a 350D.

Maybe one day I can enjoy a little trying to port ML to 350D.

For now I am busy with the 40D. Maybe after I think about it ...

tob

I have a old 350D, I will try what ever on it.

coutts

I used the 350d project a good deal to get the 5dc port off the ground. Probably wouldn't be hard to port now that 5dc / 40d are in the ML tree and CONFIG_VXWORKS exists. don't own a 350d though sorry.

dfallsfilm

trase

jplxpto

Have you some technical knowledge?

luckyluc

eduperez

The 350D and the 400D are very similar: they share lots of addresses, constants, calls, structures, ... . When you look for info about the internals of the 350D, have a look at the 400plus project, you'll probably find lots of info there. Besides, you might want to contact user 0xAF: he owns a 400D, and is interested in porting ML to that camera.

jplxpto

Quote from: eduperez on November 29, 2012, 12:38:23 PM
The 350D and the 400D are very similar: they share lots of addresses, constants, calls, structures, ... . When you look for info about the internals of the 350D, have a look at the 400plus project, you'll probably find lots of info there. Besides, you might want to contact user 0xAF: he owns a 400D, and is interested in porting ML to that camera.

Maybe in a few months I can join you at the port for the ML to 350D and 400D. For now I want to dedicate some time to my 40D. We can start this port to encourage other developers. I've seen a bit of the 350D boot. We can easily use the cache hacks, as I did in the 40D boot. After activating bootflag and have modified the boot to turn the LED's, other developers with less experience may feel encouraged to continue the work.

jplxpto

Quote from: eduperez on November 29, 2012, 12:38:23 PM

What are the skills that you already have on the 350D?

eduperez

Quote from: jplxpto on November 29, 2012, 11:50:37 PM
What are the skills that you already have on the 350D?

Not much, in fact: I'm on the project for the 400D, and we've obtained lots of info from the hack for the 350D.

eduperez

Quote from: jplxpto on November 29, 2012, 11:47:04 PM
Maybe in a few months I can join you at the port for the ML to 350D and 400D. For now I want to dedicate some time to my 40D. We can start this port to encourage other developers. I've seen a bit of the 350D boot. We can easily use the cache hacks, as I did in the 40D boot. After activating bootflag and have modified the boot to turn the LED's, other developers with less experience may feel encouraged to continue the work.

If you manage to make the cache hack work on the 350D, making it work on the 400D should be easy, no? That would be awesome!

scrax

Quote from: jplxpto on November 29, 2012, 11:47:04 PM
bootflag can already be activated on both 350D and 400D or am I missing something :)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jplxpto

Quote from: scrax on November 30, 2012, 12:15:26 AM
bootflag can already be activated on both 350D and 400D or am I missing something :)

I don't know! Tell me... :)

0xAF

Quote from: scrax on November 30, 2012, 12:15:26 AM

yes, there are activators and the addresses are known
see the link alex posted above for 350d
and for 400d -> 400Plus, but you already know that :)

btw IIRC the 350d is from the first VxWorks camera line, right ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_DSLR , see the timeline.

some thoughts:

i guess the 350d menu will look like the 5d menu ? since the 400d menu seems a bit more advanced (with some additional graphics/menus).

perhaps in this matter the 350d will be more like 5d, than 400d, though the canon api will be the same in all three cameras i think and ML is not using the canon menus actually (like in 400Plus)  ...

another thing is that there wont be many users interested in 350D-ML and i do not see the big advantage for ML either (i mean for testing stuff), so would it worth the effort ?
// AF

jplxpto

For now I'm not thinking about investing time in it. Maybe one day later.

mburgst

..just wondering today.. any chance to get ML running on my plain old 350d?

jhall07

I have an old 350D laying around, I would be interested in this as well!

primeone

eduperez

Quote from: mburgst on August 02, 2013, 12:52:55 PM
..just wondering today.. any chance to get ML running on my plain old 350d?

I would not held my breath on that... even if it was technically feasible, I do not think there is much people interested in investing the amount of time it would need. Have a look to the CHDK's forum, there is a working hack for your camera.