Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

It's already working once you enable props
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

light_tuner

I have been following this thread since last October (nearly every day!), recently installed the pre-alpha thanks to you guys. I wanted to congratulate Nanomad on cracking the Raw recording, can't wait to test!
Nanomad, I have also read stuff on ML about the ability to record clean HDMI with an external device, and a recent firmware update on the 5D mark III which allows for clean HDMI recording; can we hope for more improvement on that front with the 650d or what you are doing now is as good as it will get (which is already great)?

tomaash

back again... with ML on my camera!

beyond my expectations what you guys put together to make photographer's life easier or in a way to allow him to be more creative... thanks a lot!!

i have had the camera for only a couple of months so i am still exploring all the build-in features of the camera itself.

i was looking at Creative filters and when i applied one of them a canon message pops up saying "cannot playback image" and a moment later ML error message overlays it and camera freezes with red LED on. had to remove battery...

the ML msg says:

ASSERT: isChuckSignature...

here's the log:

ASSERT: IsSuiteSignature( hSuite )
at ./PackMemory/PackMem.c:577, task InnerDevelopMgr
lv:0 mode:2

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Apr30.650D101
Mercurial changeset   : ca7870e6a59c (unified)
Built on 2013-04-30 13:27:39 by nanomad@workhorse.
Free Memory  : 316K + 3667K

===
when looking for the log files on the card i found a file drive:\ML\LOGS\ROM0.BIN, size 16MB ?!

a bug??

just to clarify. i installed ML from a small 32MB SD card, but running ML from the 64GB SDXC. also i have no idea whether the Creative filters worked before i installed ML, however it seems like it's ML that causes the actual crash/freeze.

tomaash

correction: i updated the firmware from small 32MB card (not ML)...

nanomad

Looks like it run out of memory...did you use any other ML features or run stuff from the debug menu before testing the creative filters?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

kazeone

Quote from: tommix on May 19, 2013, 07:41:59 PM
few months and still exploring?? man..this is noob's camera..toy..what you explore so long in it? :D really...i want to...cause right now im ashamed to even show this cam to people :D looks like toy.

sorry for offtopic :D

*sniff sniff* I smell a troll in the making, please leave the forum or keep your trap shut if you have nothing positive to say towards other members...

Not everyone is a photographer expert or can instantly know every end and out of a camera just by merely touching it and this by far not a toy like a point and shoot camera would be in comparison...

Have some respect for others in this forum...

Lucas_W

It's only a toy if you play ML's script game :P
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

kazeone

Quote from: Lucas_W on May 19, 2013, 08:36:33 PM
It's only a toy if you play ML's script game :P

omg how cool would it be if they were able to get tetris to work on these cameras? have something to play during your down time lol that would be epic ^_^

Morkins

Quote from: nanomad on May 19, 2013, 10:34:51 AM
Are you changing FPS while recording? If so, you're not supposed to as everything goes out of sync
Nope. When I'm recording it doesn't flicker at all.  That only happens while previewing.

1%

650D  + M are definitely the runts of the litter. Quality is acceptable, esp compared to what was around previous years.

Should find out whats up with the creative filters to get image effects back on DigicV...

Quotehat you explore so long in it?

Dump fw and find out

Karlos_01

Hello, first I want to thank the contribution nanomad MagicLantern For Canon T4 .. And second question I wanted to query a ... I have noticed that the official version v2.3 has the Live Audio ... So my question is if in the future this feature will be present for this camera ...

Sorry if I do not write as it should but I'm using the google translator ... and thanks in advance ...

tomaash

creative filters issue:

i have tried it again and it fails without doing anything before. the logs are the same.

the 32MB SD card is too small and it won't let me apply any filter so can't try that. even with low-res picture (S3).
i tried to apply filter to low-res photo on the 64GB card and it failed too. smaller picture would take less memory however it didn't make any difference.

another thing that surprised me and i am not sure if it is an intention...

when formatting the small card that had ML installed (to see what it does without ML) i got a ML message, after the formatting finished, saying "unknown partition: 4". also no option to remove/keep ML as the 'installation wiki' says. it behaved normal after second format. no ML message.

anyone else keen to try that? or is it only my camera doing it? meaning applying 'creative filters'...

Karlos_01

tomaash I have the same problem that you have with creative filters

papkee

Quote from: nanomad on May 19, 2013, 10:32:45 AM
RAW fully working, 1280x560 is what a good card can record at 24p. The trouble is that the RAW feed has the movie mode AF points burnt into the image. It's probably a software thing as canon H264 video doesn't have them and I need to figure them out before releasing anything.

That's actually not bad. That's about the same as a cinescope video at 720p, and with the prices on Extreme cards going down every day it looks like the 650d may actually be viable as a budget raw camera.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

nanomad

Quote from: Karlos_01 on May 20, 2013, 01:37:39 AM
tomaash I have the same problem that you have with creative filters

Can you try creative filters with a card that does not have ML on it? (or just disable the boot flag from the ML card using EOSCard)

tomaash

Quote from: nanomad on May 20, 2013, 09:30:22 AM
Can you try creative filters with a card that does not have ML on it? (or just disable the boot flag from the ML card using EOSCard)

hi nanomad, it works fine with my 64GB card with disabled bootflag. i could apply any filter on high-res photo with no problem.

MarlonSenanayake

what is the newest pre alpha version for 650D i used both """v2.3.NEXT.2013Apr30.650D.PreAlpha2"" and 2013.june10 version, anythinw than these two???????????

Seanoneil72

A few random question for the devs,

When shooting video, I have read that the camera uses a pixel skipping process to scale down the 18mp image captured by the sensor to a ~2mp 1080 video frame, or a ~1mp 720 frame. So then the cpu is basically just remapping select pixels from the sensor into the video frame of whatever size if I am understanding correctly?

Is there any possibility that the sensor data could be looked at on the whole and downsampled so that averaged values were used for the remapped pixels or is there not enough horsepower in the cpu to process that amound of data quickly enough to fill the frame buffer in real time?

If downsampling (mathematically averaging and redrawing not simply remapping values) is not possible maybe its possible to fine tune focus peaking so that the peaking would register as ideal when ever so slightly defocused, which actually seems to produce an equally sharp video image with less aliasing and less moire? 

nanomad

I have no clue about altering the downsampling algorithm (it could be hardcoded or programmable, who knows). What's sure is that using the CPU to do so is impossible

About focus peaking, you can raise the treshold as you wish (the higher, the more "false" in focus points you have)

philharmonie

GoodVibes

Question about the pre-alpha given: Looking through a lot of this forum, is the FPS Override the only major hurdle/problem keeping it from being an alpha release? Or is there more major problems than this. I'm about to put this onto my camera so just wanted to know what exactly to inspect and such. Thanks!

ThibaultAnd

Quote from: nanomad on May 19, 2013, 10:32:45 AM
RAW fully working, 1280x560 is what a good card can record at 24p. The trouble is that the RAW feed has the movie mode AF points burnt into the image. It's probably a software thing as canon H264 video doesn't have them and I need to figure them out before releasing anything.

What do you mean by a good card ? Is a 45mb/s Sandisk Extreme (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDX-032G-AFFP/dp/B007M54E1M) enough for this ? I did a benchmark of it on ML and i've got an average of 39 / 40 mb/s in write speed (with a peak of 41.2 mb/s when it comes to bigger buffer)

Thanks for everything !

Seanoneil72

Quote from: nanomad on May 20, 2013, 11:24:42 PM
I have no clue about altering the downsampling algorithm (it could be hardcoded or programmable, who knows). What's sure is that using the CPU to do so is impossible

About focus peaking, you can raise the treshold as you wish (the higher, the more "false" in focus points you have)

Good to hear that focus peaking treshold is adjustable, thanks. Not sure what would be in control of downsampling, cpu was just a catch all term, intended to be anyway, not sure if there was more in the camera for processing than that digic 5 chip because have no clue about the hardware in the camera.  :-) 

I do have a feeling that Canon would make a point to make such a thing impossible because if these cameras simply had an average downsampling matrix, say like the default windows picture viewer, then the video quality would smoke movie cameras costing over 20 times more.

SMSabir

HELLO there!

I have read awesome stuff about ML doing remarkable things in cameras like T2i, T3i, 5d series and I am sure in near future I and many of us will have A VERY STABLE VERSION of ML for our T4i/650d cameras. Yes waiting can be very annoying though having this belief that eventually I will have access to something really remarkable is giving me hope :)

I salute to our ML Heros :)

nanomad

Quote from: ThibaultAnd on May 21, 2013, 10:39:09 AM
What do you mean by a good card ? Is a 45mb/s Sandisk Extreme (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDX-032G-AFFP/dp/B007M54E1M) enough for this ? I did a benchmark of it on ML and i've got an average of 39 / 40 mb/s in write speed (with a peak of 41.2 mb/s when it comes to bigger buffer)

Thanks for everything !

That's as good as it gets on the 650D, so yes. That card is ok