EOS M ** Alpha 1 ** [FIXED][DOWNLOAD]

Started by coutts, November 23, 2012, 12:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

Sorry about that. Installer issues fixed, give it a test. Updated first post with download link again.

EnsitMike

Hey Coutts,

New here, but wanted to ask you how camera safe these alpha versions are?  I understand that the ML firmware itself is already developed, but when booted on new devices, what are the challenges you have been facing as far as stability?

Normally I'd wait because I am new to ML, but I am also an Industrial Design student and have a little experience with human factors on interface design and wanted to jump in and see if I couldn't join the "mind pool" and see if I could help with the progression of this product.

However, I can't help with writing firmware, so it would be incredibly naive of me to jump in during this stage to tackle something that is better off handled after stability has been reached.

Anyways, thanks for your hard work.  Looks like you've already taken on a skill-set that will land you a sweet little career after college.  Take care.

Michael

<[ EOS-M ][ 5D MKII ][ 1D MKII ][ Elan7 ][ 700 ][ Hasselblad 500 ]>
22/2 EFM | 35L/1.4  | 40/2.8 Pancake  |  50L/1.2  |  85LII/1.2  |  24-70L/2.8  |  70-200L/4.0

Francis

Quote from: EnsitMike on December 11, 2012, 02:16:12 AM
Hey Coutts,

New here, but wanted to ask you how camera safe these alpha versions are?  I understand that the ML firmware itself is already developed, but when booted on new devices, what are the challenges you have been facing as far as stability?

Normally I'd wait because I am new to ML, but I am also an Industrial Design student and have a little experience with human factors on interface design and wanted to jump in and see if I couldn't join the "mind pool" and see if I could help with the progression of this product.

However, I can't help with writing firmware, so it would be incredibly naive of me to jump in during this stage to tackle something that is better off handled after stability has been reached.

Anyways, thanks for your hard work.  Looks like you've already taken on a skill-set that will land you a sweet little career after college.  Take care.

Michael

Consider it very very untested. As in prior to posting, run on 1, maybe 2 cameras. There are some built-in stability tests that run loops of operations, and a great deal of the code has been adapted from long-standing and well tested features but a good amount of it is just days and weeks old, including a brand new touch-screen input.

That being said, we always need people to test.

coutts

Quote from: EnsitMike on December 11, 2012, 02:16:12 AM
Hey Coutts,

Michael
no need to thank me  ;)

As far as stability goes I obviously can't guarantee anything, but it's pretty stable. It passed the 15 minute stress test, and then lasted 1.5 hours on another stress test without issues (ran it until the battery died). I think it's pretty good for a first alpha.

hpi

Just install ML on eos m
But i dont know how to access ML menu
Which button can access the ML menu ?
Thank you

christou

Quote from: hpi on December 11, 2012, 05:42:58 AM
Just install ML on eos m
But i dont know how to access ML menu
Which button can access the ML menu ?
Thank you

touch the screen with 2 fingers

not a good method for me actually...

feureau

Whoah! That was fast! Great job everyone, and congrats! :D

I don't have an EOS M but I wonder what features are enabled so far?

nanomad

Quote from: christou on December 11, 2012, 08:19:52 AM
touch the screen with 2 fingers

not a good method for me actually...

Feel free to suggest another one, but we are out of physical buttons, so....
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

christou

Quote from: nanomad on December 11, 2012, 10:11:11 AM
Feel free to suggest another one, but we are out of physical buttons, so....

just like alex said, hold down 'set' or 'info' button for 1 second would be nice
tap the screen once to open sub-menu is really a good idea ;D

nanomad

It all depends if the SET or INFO buttons send both a PRESS and UNPRESS event (to decide whether it was a long or a short press), otherwise we're kinda screwed (on the 1100D I had to use the exposure comp. button for example)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

You can also use the delete button for opening the menu, but not for closing it. Not sure if it's implemented in this alpha.

Dumb question: where's the touchscreen source?

nanomad

src/touchscreen.c?

edit? Wtf? I was sure it was there (look at past commits ....)

scrax

Quote from: nanomad on December 11, 2012, 11:14:49 AM
src/touchscreen.c?

I've made a pull from source to my fork and then during the merge i see them removed in revision 5512 by coutts.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

cvsomm

Hi there,
you are doing great work.
Are there maybe any new hints whether AF-behaviour can be improved?

Thanks and good luck with all the development,
Christian

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jimijam

Looking pretty damn good so far! *thumbs up*

Need some way to disable the ML info from top/bottom of LV screen but still have the other overlays (peaking/zebra/etc) showing (unless I'm missing something obvious?) as it (visually) interferes with canon's on-screen buttons which you need to access a reasonable amount.

2-finger press to bring up ML menu isn't too bad but it does move the af-point (of course). Minor issue. Shame about the movie-record button!

Screen-tap to access the ML sub-menus works well.

coutts

Quote from: a1ex on December 11, 2012, 11:09:10 AM
You can also use the delete button for opening the menu, but not for closing it. Not sure if it's implemented in this alpha.

Dumb question: where's the touchscreen source?
Quote from: nanomad on December 11, 2012, 11:14:49 AM
src/touchscreen.c?

I abandoned the hardcore method of x/y coordinates to just using a gui_main_task event. we can detect 2 fingers touch/untouch, and maybe do more.

In regard to long hold set / another button to open/close menu: I don't know if this would be the best method, because what if you need to get into the menu quickly? then the only other quick way to close the menu would be to use the shutter button.

Currently, 2 fingers tapped anywhere on screen will open/close the menu and 1 finger tapped anywhere opens/closes submenus in the ML menu. This is the most efficient method I could think of, and we really don't have any buttons (also reason that ML menu is disabled during recording: can't see most button events).

Just pushed a new commit:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/b2c2890f595f1912cb76396d7905f0fa9719cec9

I finally fixed it so that ML only draws the top/bottom bars when the canon on screen elements are cleared. This also makes all ML overlays only draw when the canon gui is hidden, perfect! One bug to fix still: even though canon UI is hidden, moving the scroll wheel makes canon UI pop back up. Need to find a way to disable that.

nanomad

FYI the same thing happens with the 1100D UI and I couldn't figure out a clean way to stop it

EnsitMike

Great, I'll keep that all in mind.  I will most likely play it on the safe side, but who knows what my impulsive side will have me doing  ;D

I'm not familiar with working with a hack, so I hope you guys don't mind a couple questions. And please excuse my programming ignorance.

- What limitations do we have with interacting with Canons UI
- What limitations do we have with altering Canons UI
- Can we place controls on the main UI that have ML functions
- Are touch controls for x,y coordinates looking likely, and are visual cues for those functions also likely
- Are layers possible for touch controls, and can layers be given priorities
- Is there a way to assign the ML menus a variable [for lack of better words] so that when the ML menu is opened, all the buttons and scroll wheels function within that same variable essentially creating and isolated system for button assignments?

Also, is the ML menu open to alterations?

<[ EOS-M ][ 5D MKII ][ 1D MKII ][ Elan7 ][ 700 ][ Hasselblad 500 ]>
22/2 EFM | 35L/1.4  | 40/2.8 Pancake  |  50L/1.2  |  85LII/1.2  |  24-70L/2.8  |  70-200L/4.0

coutts

Quote from: EnsitMike on December 12, 2012, 09:44:03 AM
Great, I'll keep that all in mind.  I will most likely play it on the safe side, but who knows what my impulsive side will have me doing  ;D

I'm not familiar with working with a hack, so I hope you guys don't mind a couple questions. And please excuse my programming ignorance.

- What limitations do we have with interacting with Canons UI
- What limitations do we have with altering Canons UI
- Can we place controls on the main UI that have ML functions
- Are touch controls for x,y coordinates looking likely, and are visual cues for those functions also likely
- Are layers possible for touch controls, and can layers be given priorities
- Is there a way to assign the ML menus a variable [for lack of better words] so that when the ML menu is opened, all the buttons and scroll wheels function within that same variable essentially creating and isolated system for button assignments?

Also, is the ML menu open to alterations?

1) none really, ML can replace strings in the menu and we can hijack dialogs.
2) can't do much more than replace strings AFAIK, but it could have changed
3) First 2 basically answer this
4) x/y coordinates are available for 2 fingers (can read coordinates for both fingers in real time). problem is syncing a task with it. I abandoned that route and just stuck with the gui events sent for touches.
5) Sure, but this has to be written from the ground up. feel free to give it a try :)
6) the problem is we can't always see button presses. it's especially bad on the M with the lack of buttons, so we're basically doing the best we can right now.

Wildstar

Folks, great work! Can't wait to go back home and try this Alpha by myself. :-)

Any improvements on AF already?

Best,

WS

coutts

Quote from: Wildstar on December 13, 2012, 03:50:00 AM
Folks, great work! Can't wait to go back home and try this Alpha by myself. :-)

Any improvements on AF already?

Best,

WS
Still tracking down how the whole AF system works, it's pretty low level stuff so I wouldn't expect any advances on the M autofocus for a while (months, years?!?). For now I'm more concentrated on getting the port fine-tuned for stable release status.

min

It's not working for me. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and I'm prepping the card with MacBoot to make DSLR-bootable but when I try to update the firmware in camera, I ran into the same issue jimijam had earlier. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Really want to test it out. Thanks for all the hard work.

rsaccon

Quote from: min on December 13, 2012, 10:10:03 PM
It's not working for me. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and I'm prepping the card with MacBoot to make DSLR-bootable but when I try to update the firmware in camera, I ran into the same issue jimijam had earlier. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Really want to test it out. Thanks for all the hard work.

Min, it is working for me with a 32GB card, somewhere on the installations guide I read that for first time installations, the upperlimit for card capacity is 32 GB. 
Hope that helps

Roberto

jasonwhk

Thanks for the great work, with the Magic Lantern, it makes Astrophotography on EOS M become very easy.
I have done a few test shots using intervalometer.
Here is the photo : http://www.flickr.com/photos/91111311@N04/8274354228/
But I found that after installing ML on EOS M the 18-55mm couldn't release the shutter, I have to dismount and put it back in order to shoot.
I have uninstall ML and everything back to normal.
Any thoughts?