Checklist with popup reminders

Started by quantumrider, November 22, 2012, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quantumrider

Would it be great to have a new additional and optional page in the ML menu which would be a CHECKLIST.

You could use it optionally so it would appear in the menu if needed and you would also be able to select from the list of popular checklist items as well as add your own and then on the page as you are about to shoot you could go to the page and make sure you completed all the steps before the shoot, you could even check off the items you did.

would be cool to have some sort of a pop up as well that would come on after camera comes back from stand by or there is some interval of not shooting to ask few selectable and editable questions such as:

Has the light temperature changed?
Adjust polarizing filter please.

and so on...

what do you guys think?

*edit: Post subject to include the request
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2

Malcolm Debono

I recently came up with a related idea that I'm posting here since it can work the same way.

I film some performances where I have to film twice, once for the wide shot (following the action) and the other to get closeups and cutaways. After the first performance, I go through all the material and make a list of all the shots that I need to cover the 2nd time. If it's a bit of a long performance, I create cue cards that I keep with me to get an idea of what's next and where I need to be to cover the next shot.

However this proves to be quite uncomfortable, especially if you're filming something fast or there's not enough light. Therefore I was thinking that it would be great if we could be able to have a text file and be able to display it one line at a time at the bottom of the screen (could be turned on with display preset, and a shortcut to move to next line). Of course, the text file would be editable, so you could also use it for settings reminders etc. like you mentioned.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

halbmoki

Why not just pin a note to your tripod or camera bag? I'd say this feature is somewhat unnecessary and I'd prefer if the devs put their valuable time into bugfixing and new features that actually enhance the camera functionality.

A simple .txt file is probably the easiest solution. Or a bitmap image... which gives me an idea: What about a cropmark with custom text on it? Just a suggestion for those that need additional on-screen notes.

quantumrider

love your suggestions guys, all of those could be rolled up into this one checklist page with few display and notification options, maybe we can put this to vote to see if enough people think they would be more productive if they could use such a feature not to forget important steps in their shoot or settings, in a long run this might save you from having to reshoot, which may sometimes be impossible...
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2

scrax

Guys, have you ever tried to write with canon's keyboard, for setting up copyright info?
I think it will be really long and annoying tacking notes with that.

But what is a cue card?
Can help a screenshot from the wide shot take and audio notes (instead of text)?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: scrax on November 26, 2012, 08:14:15 PM
Guys, have you ever tried to write with canon's keyboard, for setting up copyright info?
I think it will be really long and annoying tacking notes with that.

But what is a cue card?
Can help a screenshot from the wide shot take and audio notes (instead of text)?

Keyboard isn't needed since all the text (in both suggestions) would be prepared in a text file on the memory card  :)

C100 & 6D shooter

scrax

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on November 26, 2012, 11:04:56 PM
Keyboard isn't needed since all the text (in both suggestions) would be prepared in a text file on the memory card  :)
Ok, got it now, misunderstand here that your suggestion was to edit in camera:
Quote from: Malcolm Debono on November 22, 2012, 07:40:09 PM
Of course, the text file would be editable, so you could also use it for settings reminders etc. like you mentioned.

A sort of one line txt reader overlay?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: scrax on November 27, 2012, 05:40:39 PM
A sort of one line txt reader overlay?

That's right. The line would be visible in live view at the bottom of the screen, and you can switch lines (definitely next line, maybe previous too) with a button press. This would be great for those who use shot lists as you can load the file as text file and you easily know what the next shot is with a button press - definitely useful for events  :)
C100 & 6D shooter

Kamel

Hey guys, first time posting but have been lurking for some time...

I like the ideas presented here. I actually do really like the popup reminders thing because the reason for a checklist is that I might forget something, and if I forgot something I will probably also forget to check my list to see what I'd forgotten.

I'd be happy with any implementation though... I just wanted to say I was trying to think of a good way to scroll through either list and I think I've come up with a pretty solid method.

If it's possible, to scroll through the list, you could hold the "set" button while using the toggle wheel to scroll up and down. I think this would be very elegant, easy to do on any camera, and wouldn't interrupt other functions.

Thoughts?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: Kamel on December 01, 2012, 03:25:00 AM
If it's possible, to scroll through the list, you could hold the "set" button while using the toggle wheel to scroll up and down. I think this would be very elegant, easy to do on any camera, and wouldn't interrupt other functions.

Only problem is that the 5D2 uses the set button for starting/stopping recording  ;)
C100 & 6D shooter

c2s07

For a basic, non-interactive checklist, you could use the Magic Lantern in-camera help files for this purpose. For example, I've replaced the white balance help page with a custom bitmap containing my checklist. :)

quantumrider

very cool! any chance you could post it here for us unless it contains launch codes obviously....
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2