Main Wheel assignment on 600D ?

Started by skydragon, October 31, 2012, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skydragon

I'm using a 600D (T3i) with ML 2.3.

In LV/Movie mode, the main dial (the thumbwheel near the shutter button) can be used to directly alter shutter speed. However...I have no real need for that and would prefer the main dial to be able to be assigned to directly control the aperture value.

Is this possible to alter in ML (or in the 600D main menus somewhere) ?

Thanks.
Canon 600D with Battery Grip, ML 2.3, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, Swivi viewfinder loupe, RJ Follow focus. Loupe, FF and Camera/Battery Grip mounted on a 4mm thick alloy plate.

a1ex

No, that's why there are the arrow key shortcuts.

scrax

I use a trick for that, but it will be reseted each halfshutter :-[ but you don't have to keep AV pressed
I leave the Q menu open with Aperture selected, that way main wheel controls aperture.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

skydragon

Alex, Thanks. I've been using the arrow key shortcuts and they work well, when there is plenty of time whilst shooting.

But, I find that when I'm in a situation where there is a wide variation of lighting conditions (eg. moving around a room, near windows, etc) and I need to constantly be altering the exposure settings to account for the different conditions, that using the key shortcuts can be a pain. This is made worse by the fact that my viewfinder loupe further restricts fast/easy access to the arrow keys.

In that type of situation, where generally I've a preset and fixed shutter speed that I don't want to alter, being able to instantly scroll through aperture stops with the main wheel, without having any pre-selection and without having to look away from the viewfinder, would be very fast/ideal.

I can select and hold 'AV button' and turn the main dial - and then I get what I want, but again this is not as good as a direct assignment of the main wheel to Av.

Is this technically possible to do?
Canon 600D with Battery Grip, ML 2.3, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, Swivi viewfinder loupe, RJ Follow focus. Loupe, FF and Camera/Battery Grip mounted on a 4mm thick alloy plate.

a1ex

skydragon

Ahhh, I should have read it properly first time ;-)