7D at Halloween: The Bitrate-Monster (EXPERIMENTAL)

Started by g3gg0, October 28, 2012, 10:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Corpus

7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

g3gg0

uhm any picture style is causing information loss.
you have 14 bits of information being packed in 8 bits where the pic style is the lookup table for transforming.

information loss is inavoidable, its just the question which information you want to loose.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

exe

HELP! I made a few tests and I don't understand why at iso 160 I get 36 mbs CBR at 20x setting, and at iso 6400 I get 208 mbs CBR, it looks like the higher I go with ISO the higher the bitrate. How should I use this?

nanomad

The higher the ISO, the higher the noise, which does not compress very well hence the higher bitrate
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

exe

And for example shooting in daylight how is it better? Using 20x bitrate at 160 iso? Or higher iso?

feureau

Quote from: exe on November 19, 2012, 05:12:16 AM
And for example shooting in daylight how is it better? Using 20x bitrate at 160 iso? Or higher iso?

Use 20x bitrate at 160 ISO. It's better. The low bitrate is due to the low details in your shot. Try shooting at tall grasses or lots of leaves on some trees, the bitrate will shoot up.

g3gg0

hmm not sure. what about banding?
wasnt shooting with some (little) noise that gets filtered in post better to prevent banding introduced during MPEG compression?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

feureau

I dunno. All the banding goes away when I denoise my footage. There's very minimal banding when you shoot at low ISO anyway. OTOH, the image quality (sharpness, color, DR, etc) goes down rather quickly above 800-1600 ISO.

There's that strange banding though: in the Y channel when you turn on Highlight priority or Auto Lighting Optimizer and shoot at around ISO 3200, after you denoise the chroma, you can see there's a square pattern going vertically and horizontally all over the place.

Digital Corpus

That's normal. Canon 'could' fix it with a firmware update, and you only need black frame subtraction in a still image to fix it, but alas... I do admit that it is a tad annoying  :-\
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

lukasildza

Hello.
I am mostly using 7D for downhill bikeing videos - so 720p 60fps.
I was so happy to see that i can change the bitrate, and hoping to have better quality. I have done some real world footages, but i dont see any difference in sharpnes, or quality. Settings i tried: CBR 15x, and VBR Q -12. Did I do something wrong? Thanks

jphansen

You should see something in the file size.. and that means there is more info = more details.. Naybe it's hard to spot.. And the sharpness problem could be the lens.. Most of the time a cheaper lens makes a less sharp image :-)

lukasildza

Quote from: jphansen on December 05, 2012, 05:16:54 PM
You should see something in the file size.. and that means there is more info = more details.. Naybe it's hard to spot.. And the sharpness problem could be the lens.. Most of the time a cheaper lens makes a less sharp image :-)
So I should be satisfied because file is bigger? :D It doesn't matter to me, if file is bigger when quality is the same (by naked eye...but i dont need it to be better in some graphs and tests, i want beter video while shooting between trees and leaves!)
I am using 70-200 f/4 L IS, and Tamron 17-50 2.8. Both are very sharp in photography, and for video you dont need such a good optical quality(I have read somewhere), so i dont think this is reason.

deleted.account.01

Quote from: exe on November 19, 2012, 05:12:16 AM
20x bitrate

:D  i got Canon T3i (D600) and  when i use x.2.0 bitrate in video recording my camera cant stand it and it geting  hot and lol hapend on end..camera freaze.. max what is quite good for my camera its  x.1.6 ..what camera u use with x20 bitrate ? and it not stops ?

i use 45mb/s reading and wrighting  Class 10 San Disk Card

Quote from: lukasildza on December 05, 2012, 05:32:04 PM
So I should be satisfied because file is bigger? :D It doesn't matter to me, if file is bigger when quality is the same (by naked eye...but i dont need it to be better in some graphs and tests, i want beter video while shooting between trees and leaves!)
I am using 70-200 f/4 L IS, and Tamron 17-50 2.8. Both are very sharp in photography, and for video you dont need such a good optical quality(I have read somewhere), so i dont think this is reason.

when u got two same lenght of file lets say 10 second Movie File`s but one is 1 GB and another one is lets say 100 mb.. its mean..more frames per second more resolution more bitrate more high quality..if u dont see diference u need maybe check ur ICC profile monitor .. or check color setings at  ur software..and what Monitor ICC profile u use.. with wrong ICC profile and balance colours in ur computer and on camera ..when those two coplours profles are not same your colours can looks weird..( like in 8 bit frames ) so u can thing its low quality..
alsow tell me what software u use to Preview ur videos recorded  with ML on your Canon..cus this can be  problem to..
all video players use some codecs and they use own setings.. the best thing its to not powering UP quality of movie on your Video Player.. make player show u original colors with OUT Program Corection..cus sometimes ( mostly ) these  software (video player ) corection can kill quality in movie

Edit :

i thing will be coool to have in MAgic Lantern Video SubMenue option like :))))))... AntyAliasing :))..ooo yeaaa .. this will Extreamly Make Quality SOOO high UP !

jphansen

Well I meant. Bigger file = better quality.. Maybe more details in the shadows and stuff like that.. But it doesn't mean sharper image.. Thats your lens that have to do that job..

Quote from: lukasildza on December 05, 2012, 05:32:04 PM

danistuta

Could you tell me a great menu setting bitrate for my Canon 7d?
I would like a good compromise between quality and file size.
Thank you very much.

xNiNELiVES

What does a monstrous bit rate like the one's capable with this mod actually benefit in terms of image quality? Can I see some comparisons, just interested. Thanks.

Canon eos m

Off topic: How do I increase the CBR/VBR on my 5D3 - cannot see the options anymore on the H.264 line - January 8, 2013 build.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

DigitalVeil

So how difficult was it to remove the 3.0 CBR limit in the source code?  I'm interested in trying this myself on my 700D.  Also, does Qscale -16 set the maximum QP possible, or is there still room left to go?  Lastly, it would be really nice if we could get GOP control brought into the main ML branch.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM