As some guys asked for thorough tests of what the high bitrate reported in this thread
really look like,
i decided to post an EXPERIMENTAL release of the 7D bitrate hack.
i repeat. EXPERIMENTAL.what does that mean?
1) it is only intended for people with decent technical knowledge, because...
2) ... you have to be aware of the possible negative side effects like overheating ....
3) ... or some unrecoverable crash of your camera.
4) and it would only make sense to test if you know what bitrate means
4) although i don't think this will happen - the risk for your camera is higer as with the alpha
5) the usual "be warned" stuff i always tell you still applies
okay. i have to say that, you know.
back to the bitrate hack. what is it about?
with ML we can drive the bitrate up to factor 3.0x then, depending on your card speed, recording stops.
this is because of the recording buffers that fill too fast.
these buffers are cleared about ONCE per SECOND - if you set 25 fps, they will get written to card after the 25th frame.
if we would set e.g. 10x rate, the buffer would be full after half a seconds or so.
thats the reason for the recording that stops.what does this hack do?
it flushes the buffers more often. this is configurable.
i pre-set it to 4 frames which works quite well with my 30MiB/s CF card and a rate of < 9.0x.
on 7D this also requires some cache hacks in master firmware.
porting that other models is a lot of simpler. (imho)what do you want to test?
a) test how far your card can go up.. set bit rate higher and test high detail scenes. report what your highest stable bitrate was and your card type (with benchmark speed).
b) check if the hack is worth its effort. is the video quality good? or would we stick better with 3.0x and this hack is useless?known issues:
- ERR70 may happen if your card is too slow and/or the flush rate is too low
disable sound recording, else you will get an ERR70 too
- it seems to be not CBR, but VBR although it says CBR
i really would love to see some deep analysis of the videos and your conclusion - is it worth to get implemented in all models?
or should i just drop this code and stick to other things?here
is the DL link for this experimental version.