Lens Calibration for 60d

Started by erichf, October 25, 2012, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erichf

My 60d is calibrated almost perfectly for the two main lenses that I use but the third lens, an f2.8 70-200 is way off. With the 50d and higher level cameras you have the ability to create multiple focus calibrations to accomodate differences in lenses but Canon dropped this feature from the 60d, thereby relegating it to a purely consumer camera with no hope for using it for anything else.

Does Magic Lantern include lens calibration? I didn't see it in the list of features on http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

Thanks

nanomad

It's not possible as far as we know it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ilguercio

Has Canon ever told you how to calibrate a lens? Let's take a 70-200 2.8 as an example.
At which focus distance you should do it? What focal lenght?.
Canon does never get into detail about this and i am thinking it's just nothing special. I never succeded calibrating my Sigma 70-200 for these reasons. What's your experience?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

erichf

Thanks Nanomad. I was hoping that it would be a software fix but I guess I'm out of luck.

ilguercio, I followed a bit of trial and error when I calibrated a lens on a Nikon 7000. I chose a distance that I thought was appropriate for what I was shooting and tried a couple different zoom amounts and adjusted the lens as best I could. In the case of the 7000, the lens I was using was really far off and even after setting the calibration to the extreme of one end of the scale, the lens was still not focusing exactly on the target.