HDSLR Offloader (Windows utility to backup footage & transcode HDR videos)

Started by Malcolm Debono, June 24, 2012, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 02, 2012, 03:27:49 PM
Unfortunately it is next to impossible to port it for Mac (would be better to just write it from ground up in another language). The way HDR transcoding works is by passing parameters to external apps such as ffmpeg, enfuse and photomatix through command-line, which would need to be changed completely to work on Macs.
all those three works on mac too  :)

Osx user, MLTools is for mac but it is still just a script because I had no feedback so far, so i've stopped adding things since for me it works and starts automatically when card is inserted.
If feedback are positive i'll bundle it in an app, but without testers i'll not make something that maybe works only on my particular configuration.

@ Malcolm if you want we can try to work together on an osx app
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malcolm Debono

@ scrax
I'll be more than happy to help you out, but I don't have any knowledge in mac programming (as far as I know it uses objective c). Had I known that this app would become 'popular', I would have based it on a more universal language (maybe java), however as it is it requires a complete re-work for it to work on Mac.

If you need to have a look at the code, let me know (it's in C#).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

scrax

For now i'm just interested in the command line code you use for you conversion, so to try it on mac and compare result with what i have.

So far I can have only an automated process without a lot of user interaction to test the basic functions, but i'll add more options when those thing are tested working ok.

In those day I'm really busy so don't worry if have ont time right now.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

Malcolm Debono

Hey guys, I'll get back to you next week as I'm currently abroad!
C100 & 6D shooter

jordancolburn

This is awesome!  I'm currently working on a similar utility in python to provide a nice front end to some of the timelapse scripts I've seen around here for deflickr and  also to add a GUI to set keyframes for some simple ken burns style motion during timelapses.  It too uses ffmpeg, imagemagick and other tools that should be very portable.

I think It would be extremely beneficial to develop a GPL'd magic lantern companion software that would support multiple OS, and allow users to simply log footage, create timelapses, simple HDR video and provide extensisibility to take advantage of new ML features as they come out.  I'd be more than willing to help support a project like that in any way.

ilguercio

Quote from: jordancolburn on September 13, 2012, 06:14:07 PM
This is awesome!  I'm currently working on a similar utility in python to provide a nice front end to some of the timelapse scripts I've seen around here for deflickr and  also to add a GUI to set keyframes for some simple ken burns style motion during timelapses.  It too uses ffmpeg, imagemagick and other tools that should be very portable.

I think It would be extremely beneficial to develop a GPL'd magic lantern companion software that would support multiple OS, and allow users to simply log footage, create timelapses, simple HDR video and provide extensisibility to take advantage of new ML features as they come out.  I'd be more than willing to help support a project like that in any way.
+1 for this, at least all the basic stuff thata ML user should have on his PC.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: jordancolburn on September 13, 2012, 06:14:07 PM

Such a tool would definitely be useful! Unfortunately I'm not quite familiar with any cross-platform language (except for Java), which is why I started this app (which was very basic at first, and was only intended as a simple personal project!) in C#. If it can be useful, I'd be more than willing to share any code from this app if anyone wants to work on such a tool :)
C100 & 6D shooter

jordancolburn

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on September 13, 2012, 06:36:03 PM
Such a tool would definitely be useful! Unfortunately I'm not quite familiar with any cross-platform language (except for Java), which is why I started this app (which was very basic at first, and was only intended as a simple personal project!) in C#. If it can be useful, I'd be more than willing to share any code from this app if anyone wants to work on such a tool :)
That would be great! I'm an electrical engineer by degree but working as a newbie software developer so I'm still learning a lot. 

AFAIK Python tends to be pretty portable (AKA, I can run my scripts on any linux/mac/win computer with all the library dependencies), I'm just not sure how to go about including all dependencies and packing it up really nicely for the different platforms.

It seems like most of the real complicated functions in your utility are calling other programs and the c# just provides the GUI and setting up batches/file operations, right?

Malcolm Debono

Yeah, I'm only using it for the GUI interface and batch operations, which should be easier to convert to another language. However we still need to make sure that all the libraries used are supported by multiple OSs.
C100 & 6D shooter

jordancolburn

Cool, well, I didn't mean to completely derail your original thread because the current app really useful! so should we start a separate thread to gauge potential interest and talk about how best to get started?

Malcolm Debono

No worries! Having a cross-platform app is the way to go since many users use Macs too. Feel free to open a new topic since it's cleaner that way.
C100 & 6D shooter

miyake

@Malcolm

Thankyou for creating this software.
I just test it, and I want to set encoding options.
Because, default output.mov is very heavy when I edit it.
So I want to choose mpeg2-hd or some low compression encoding format for low PC CPU usage.

I think,
Add one more edit box in HDR option tab , then describe full system() argument .
Of course , add new event handler in another edit box , and  the new one is realtime update by added event handler.
Finally, user is able to customize new editbox.
It's better to make a  full GUI encoding options support, but I know it's a really hard work. So it's a landing point, I think.
Please consider it.

P.S. I'm only using a VisualC++ for my work. I never use  C# .......

Malcolm Debono

Thanks miyake! I'll see what I can do in the coming days! Shouldn't be too much work.
C100 & 6D shooter

Malcolm Debono

Version 0.6.1
- Added support for customizing ffmpeg parameters for output video, so you can use different output formats such as MP4 or MPG

The PDF includes a usage example and an external link with more info on ffmpeg commands!

Download link:
http://malcolmdebono.com/apps/HDSLRoffloader_0.6.1.zip
C100 & 6D shooter

miyake

Thanks Malcolm.
It's very good for me.

my Extra param is
-q:v 1 -vcodec mpeg2video

And multiplexing container is
m2v

Mpeg2 HD and ALL-I is really right wait for CPU.

Malcolm Debono

C100 & 6D shooter

scrax

Malcolm I've worked on MLtools those days and I've managed to add some GUI interaction to the script.
It does most of the thing HDSLR does but in sort of wizard way. So far I have problem to generate FST script with align_image_stack but maybe is the ML script that don't works, more test needed.
I'm still curious to take a look at the script that you use, maybe i can copy something ;)
thanks  :)

Malcolm Debono

C100 & 6D shooter

tin2tin

If you like to add timecode and reelname to the files then ffmbc can do that with command line switches:
-timecode <Timecode> -metadata reel_name=<ReelName>
The <Timecode> is in this format 00:00:00:00 and the <ReelName> is letters and numbers. I've just added this functionality to EyeFrame Converter. I believe that it is possible to just add the metadata without an actual transcoding.

taapo

Very nice program, but it proved to be (almost) catastrohic for me today in a certain situation. Maybe this feedback could improve it?

We work with two camera's. When we have the program rewrite the filename, it is possible that movies that were made on the same moment overwrite eachother (same minute and second - it's possible, and becomes worse with the addition of extra cameras. A random hash after the filename would solve it. Or take a combination of time, serial number of card and folder name (and hash).

Secondly, one of the camera's had a wrong timestamp (the time was 3 hours off), so the the filesorting was completelt thrown off. I'd rather see the timestamp based on the moment we are offloading. This solves the double camera overwriting also.

Is there a possibility to have this situation resolved? I have to admit - of all (commercial) programs I have tried, this freebie was the best - but proved unsufficient for production work at the moment.

I'd even consider donating money to improve it, so it could become the swiss offloading knife for windows user. Let me know if this would be an incentive.

donjames150

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on July 30, 2012, 04:54:37 PM
Version 0.4
HDRSLR Offloader now supports transcoding HDR videos while importing  :)

The following steps can be done automatically:
- Extract the audio track from file (done through ffmpeg - included)
- Extract and sort even and odd frames from HDR videos (also done through ffmpeg)
- Process HDR frames with Enfuse (included) or with Photomatix (user must specify location of PhotomatixCL.exe from Options window)
- Save processed frames back to video (framerate and size can also be customized; done through ffmpeg)

Note: HDR videos are detected through the log file generated by ML, so please enable this option from ML menu before capturing

Download link:
http://malcolmdebono.com/apps/HDSLRoffloader_0.4.zip

I'd like to keep this thread alive as it's turned out to be a good solution for any of you Real Estate video shooters out there who have multiple HDR inside window shots. This program (ver 0.6.1) does the job nicely.  I found the enfuse option quality too poor, but the Photomatix works well. It's about 3 times faster than the interframe script option plus it batches unlimited number of files. Sadly it's not available for the mac, pc only.

EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

donjames150

EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

Forssux

Hi There,

Hi There I made a test movie and noticed that ...
I get a Charlie Chaplin effect .....although frame rate is correct at 25
The sound isn't embedded in the output file.

I'm probably doing something wrong

Can somebody help me...
Guy