Aperture bracketing example

Started by trase, October 13, 2012, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trase

Trying out the new aperture/DOF bracketing feature that can be found in the latest Magic Lantern nightly.

I use it to shoot two consecutive pictures at different aperture - in this case f1.8 and f7.1 - and later combine them in order to get a picture with shallow DOF and yet with the subject at optimum sharpness.

(view at 100% to be able to appreciate the effect)

forum thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3045.0

ilguercio

Amazing, you're making a good use of this feature.
Also, is there a particular workflow to ensure a perfect blending of the images?
If so, i guess a tutorial would be really appreciated.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

a1ex

Looks fantastic!

Can you show the two original shots, before blending?

trase

Thanks, good to hear!

Here you can see the two original pictures, as well as the layer mask:

The method I use for combining the pictures is fairly quick and straightforward, and gives a lot of control:
I open the two pictures in photoshop, copy and paste the sharp one as a layer on top of the blurry one. (If you were shooting on a tripod the pictures will align perfectly, otherwise you may have to move the layer around a bit until they match).
Create a layer mask. Paint it black (zero opacity).
Using the ordinary airbrush tool I paint in the parts that I want sharp.

A special thanks to you again a1ex for implementing this feature!

discocalculi

Looks good. The clarity is really remarkable in your example.

I've found the exposure values a bit confusing (I assume 1 exposure step is 1 aperture step)

trase

Thank you.
I agree, the exposure values aren't totally intuitive when you're used to just choosing the aperture value. But as you say, 1 exposure step is 1 aperture step - I usually use an increment of either 3 or 4 EV.

bart

Great idea. I think this is a better alternative for subtle focus stacking. At least the procedure is much faster and works even on insects in the field when the wind lays low for a tiny moment. I hope I can still find some insects to try it out.

jbuy41

Could you provide me the steps used in Aperture brackting?

I download the latest nightly and still have problems using stack and cannot find Aperture bracking in the menu.

Cannot find a way to control the number of pictures that are snapped.  Get one or two.  Changed step to 1,2, and 3, with no change.  Even if it says + or - steps from end point.

I cannot find documentation that gives you step by step procedures that work.  Am I the only one that is having problems?

nanomad

Don't use nightly builds, stick to the stable release
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

JohnC

Sorry to reply to an old topic, can someone point me to the instructions for how to do this, I can't find it in the manual.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

There is not much to tell. It is bracketing with variable aperture settings.
What is the actual question?
And what manual you are talking about? Link?