Canon 6D support?

Started by eco_bach1, September 17, 2012, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eco_bach1

Any timeline yet for possible 6D support?

nanomad

Do we have *official* specs yet?

Oh wait, they released them today, right? :o
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

Well... only Canon knows. They should publish a firmware update first.

nanomad

Alright,
- one DIGIC V+ CPU only. That's good news. Sort of. The MKIII port should provide a nice headstart
- Integrated Wifi and GPS should pose no threat since we never touched them :P
I really hope they used the 650D SD card controller for increased write speed

All in all it's my feeling is "Meh, doesn't really convince me but whatever". Porting ML shouldn't be an issue but with no firmware update we're kinda stuck unless there's some kind of breaktrough for dumping the firmware on the DigicV(+) cameras.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

At $2k this is more affordable but what about crop mode (or is it un-needed now?)

They added:

For still pics, the 6D has an HDR (High Dynamic Range) mode, which captures three different exposures of the same shot and combines them for better detail and color.

Glad to see they're learning. What about HDR video? Why don't we have 2k on this ish? I figure $2k for 2k and $4k for 4k.... They should do something we can't do. I guess they tried with GPS/WiFi but these aren't deal breakers for me although wifi is a nice touch.

Also is the 1080p real 1080p...... What about 480P highspeed? Like 600fps or something? I'm sure hardware can do something in that range. Other pros would appreciate some advanced stuff, they're aiming at a niche market already; this isn't for Jr's birthday pics. I don't get it.

nanomad

The HDR function is ported from the 650D. The 6D looks like a 650D/5D Mk III hybrid,

g3gg0

btw, alex.

cant we do this in "bulb exposure mode" too?
vary ISO and then abort early after some ISOs.
and then add custom postprocessing.. hmm

what do you think?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Not sure what you mean, but ML bracketing can shoot at different ISOs, and if it's too dark, it goes to Bulb mode.

Offtopic: I've been experimenting with exposure simulation in Bulb mode, based on bulb timer setting. On new cameras it has a lot of potential, since the sensors have little noise. For example, 5D3 can get huge ISOs in LiveView, unlike 5D2. And when it's too dark outside, you can enable FPS override to get a cleaner image, and ML exposure simulation will be still correct.

ilguercio

It has just been presented, nobody knows when it'll hit the shelves yet.
So, calm down :)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

scrax

seems it has not audio out, someone has more detailed info? a/v out present  ;)

this is nice about integrated wifi:
QuoteBut we think more photographers are likely be interested by the fact that it can also be used to turn your smartphone into a wireless remote control via Canon's EOS Remote app for iOS or Android, complete with live view and full control of exposure settings.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on September 17, 2012, 07:38:15 PM
Not sure what you mean, but ML bracketing can shoot at different ISOs, and if it's too dark, it goes to Bulb mode.

to complete my (off topic) idea:
in bulb mode multiple "frames" are merged without any shutter/mirror action between them.
my idea was to use this feature to make multiple exposures with different ISOs there.
if we can shorten the software exposure time, it might get smth like "instant-HDR" image as the whole HDR might take only 3*exposure time and has no shutter action between.

get my idea? :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on September 17, 2012, 04:28:51 PM
Glad to see they're learning.

No, they're not - at $2099 the 6d has horrible specs, it's not "mini-5d3" but a "high image quality tourist camera". Even ignoring the Nikon d600 it's no competition even to the 5d2 because ml adds some gimmicks like 3+ bracketing that Canon sees as selling points for the 6d. The one exciting thing is wifi remote control,. But the af is a mess - it has no real, but only a hybrid cross type points with lenses of f2.8+ and just one with f4- lenses - they traded af precision for low light capability of -3ev (1dx/5d3: -2ev).

Quote from: ilguercio on September 17, 2012, 07:56:05 PM
It has just been presented, nobody knows when it'll hit the shelves yet.

It's announced for December, since it's a new sensor first quantities might be low, so don't get your hopes up esp. knowing the recent Canon delays.

EDIT: um, sorry, for the rant, couldn't resist, I'm quite disappointed since the 6d is not for me. But on the bright side, with the bad 6d af people will *love* magic lantern focus peaking :-)

bart

I actually like this sample.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos6d/player_deepgreen/movie.html?high

Shooting convincing footage in the jungle is very hard from my experience. Huge contrasts.

Chucho

6D model ID number 0x80000302

a1ex

Regarding AF, I've shot a few pictures with 5D3 in AF ( 50/1.8 ) and a few of them came out grossly out-of-focus. No moving subjects, just static portraits. So, for me, lack of advanced AF is not a big deal.

If the sensor is as good as 5D3's, I think it's a significant improvement over 5D2 (and ML might be able to add the missing gimmicks, like bracketing, audio monitoring, peaking etc).

bart

found the youtube version at 1080p but very low bitrate

Fine detail is not fantastic but at an acceptable level most of the time. The cave shot pointing up towards the daylight has this blurry patches. Like a photoprint that went wet and had some smudges. I really don't like that. Maybe this can be solved through bitrate and encoder tweaks.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 18, 2012, 08:53:01 AM
Regarding AF, I've shot a few pictures with 5D3 in AF ( 50/1.8 ) and a few of them came out grossly out-of-focus. No moving subjects, just static portraits. So, for me, lack of advanced AF is not a big deal.

The 5d3/1dx af is tuned for the latest Canon 2010+ lenses, esp. the 2.8 zooms and some like the 70-300L - in these cases it's a fast and precise "closed loop" system. I wouldn't expect the oldest possible lens w/o even usm to profit from the 5d3 af.

Greg

If the camera has wifi so maybe using the ML it will be possible to have a web browser?
haha  ;D

jplxpto

Quote from: Greg on September 24, 2012, 02:11:23 AM
If the camera has wifi so maybe using the ML it will be possible to have a web browser?
haha  ;D

Soon you'll want to upload directly to youtube or even to our forum. By the way, I also like to be able to make phone calls ... so could definitely replace my phone with my camera.

hahah... hiihih .. heheheh... rsrsrrsrs

zminor

The camera just came out, so I thought I'd bump this to the front.

Since people have been asking about the Wifi functionality, it's currently displayed when video mode is activated. I'm hoping this can be hacked, because otherwise the EOS Remote app is surprisingly responsive -- it's got fast changing of aperture, iso, and shutter speed, and it could serve as an excellent monitor on the fly.

nanomad

Are you sure about that? The DRTV video showed the guys taking pictures with the remote app

Malcolm Debono

Looks like the 6D has on-screen audio meters (finally)  :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

ozcancelik

First of all i think ML will work on 6D perfectly.

But 6D has serious moire and aliasing problem on video mode. And ML can not fix it. It will be good still camera. But AF points are problem. I thought video quality will similar as Mark III. But it's not. ISO and bitrate(ALL-I) better than Mark II. But that's it. Bitrate is not problem for ML users. So just ISO performance is better than Mark II.

coutts

^ ouch... so i guess canon crippled the 6d :(

ozcancelik

Quote from: coutts on December 04, 2012, 01:07:13 AM
^ ouch... so i guess canon crippled the 6d :(

It's big disappointment for me. Look at this video:

coutts

FYI I have this in my hands now and am working to dump the firmware soon.