First alpha version for 5D Mark III is ready!

Started by a1ex, September 12, 2012, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quite a few people experienced lockups, so I'm actually thinking to disable some stuff for next update. But I have no idea what might cause trouble...

alphadelta

Hi guys, I am still waiting for some kind of email after donating last night for the 5D3 ML? Been a day now..

Andy

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

alphadelta

Cheers nanomad, I am a little bit early, but only by an hour or so! :-)

christin

hello i´ve got a problem. i installed ML but i´ve got no type written in there, can you tell what fails? Contents of my card: fir file, userguide,doc, data,cropmks,Readme
thanks

nanomad

You're missing the ML folder, open a new thread if you still have issues
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

christin

elmatambre

hello i donate yesterday but i have a question ... please wen do you make the firmware to the t4i? please tell me because i have a sword of damocles ... i proving a camera t4i chose these or the d60? whats is better ... whit this ML... Im sorry if mi english is not good. im speak spanish and i try write in english... thanks for you work... :)
Canon 650D Tamron 17-270mm 3.5/6.3 sigma 30 1.4

hjfilmspeed

Its amazing whats been done so far with ml and the 5diii! excellent work everyone! I believe the potential for the 5d3 is great. my biggest strife with its video is h.264. I was messing with the s2 jpegs, shooting at 6fps the opening the files up as a jpeg sequence in a 24p timeline. if you shoot s2 jpegs in video mode the files are cropped at 1920x1080 and are only  .5 to 1 MB in size and were way sharper. could it be possible to somehow  shoot s2 jpeg sequences at 24p say for maybe shorter period of time? if so the sharpness and quality would be insane. i was using marvels cine and htp (which normaly makes uglys) and the quality was awsome. i dought this is possible but the jpeg downsampling was real sharp and so easy to grade. it would probably call for a data rate around 200mbs. so what if playback isnt there it would be worth the quality. thanks again for all your hard work!

RenatoPhoto

I donated, first time user.  Focus peaking seems amazing.
No problems here.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

vstrglv

Good Evening,

I have 5D MIII. Thank you very much for this SW. Waiting for 2.4 .
I  tried to change some settings, but after power off-on there is default settings.  Is it OK?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

NtiT

In this stripped down build, settings are not saved.

a1ex

Enable config autosave (it's present in alpha 1).

vstrglv

Thank you very much!
You may delete this post.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

TomskPilot

Hello everybody. When to expect the final version for 5dm3?

a1ex

QuoteWhen to expect the final version for 5dm3?
When all ML developers would have upgraded to 5D Mark IV (or whatever else), or when Canon will no longer allow us to develop ML.

kikouyou

I could load the alpha flawlessly, I like the focus peek a lot, particularly with my TS lens or my large aperture lenses! looking forward to get the grey scale!
Also I am a EyeFi user and would love to put ML on it, it sure does not like to boot from it :-)

Thank you

E

guycalaf

Hey Alex,

Thanks so much for the hard work. Really looking forward to the 5DIII release for video. Are you working on clean uncompressed HDMI output?

And make us pay for your products!!! You deserve it and serious people are willing to pay. Trust us.

I am a supporter ( I hope it shows here ).

Cheers,
Guy

a1ex

I have higher hopes for uncompressed 422 video saved on the card, not via HDMI.

As for asking for payment (selling), this might cause trouble. ML was created by reverse engineering Canon code, which is copyrighted, and it probably fits under "fair use". And one of the criteria for determining fair use is "the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes" ( http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise25.html ). Sure, ML doesn't contain any Canon code, so it's probably OK, but I prefer to stay on the safe side.

CHDK guys do not even accept donations - http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5803.0 .

sicetime

Quote from: a1ex on October 09, 2012, 04:52:24 PM
I have higher hopes for uncompressed 422 video saved on the card, not via HDMI.

Hey a1ex, I may be wrong but aren't uncompressed 422 and compressed 2k about the same write speeds? Which ones are you leaning towards researching, and what are your thoughts on it all? Thanks for all your hard work!

a1ex

I don't see your point. To get a different resolution, one has to resample the sensor in a different way.

1%

If we up PTP jpeg size somehow we can barely squeeze 2k into SD card data rates. I think its an issue of figuring it out and not money/simple ideas/etc.

Regular jpegs that happen with shutter click... not possible. Not everything is just because canon loves crippleware, some things are actual hardware limitations. Even $1million can't make miracles or solutions come faster.

sicetime

Quote from: a1ex on October 09, 2012, 06:22:42 PM
I don't see your point. To get a different resolution, one has to resample the sensor in a different way.

Sorry I was just running off strictly numbers, didn't know that. 

hjfilmspeed

High A1ex! I know very little about comp programing/firmware but 422 sounds awsome! This is getting to exciting for me i must ask questions sorry.
Have you experemented with it yet?
How long of a clip could be sustained with a fast card on the 5d3 do u think?
Do you think it will make a difference in sharpness?
Thank you for your time a patients with turkeys like me ha ha

a1ex

I didn't experiment with it, it's just on paper. Benchmarks say that it might work with lexar 1000x cards (maybe not FullHD, but maybe 2.35:1 or something like this).