Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lcrusher

As I know it doesn't work in 720 through HDMI.

platu

I didn't realize that 720 via HDMI didn't work.  Is that a technical limitation or just something that has not been worked as of this point?

Just asking since I tend to use it quite a bit for slow-mo.

a1ex

There are a lot of parameters to be guessed (just a lot of work with little benefit).

platu

platu

To recreate the issue of missing black backgrounds on the top and bottom info bars...

1. This only occurs when using my SmallHD DP4 monitor (tested 1080p 24 and 30)

2.  When first starting the camera and launching Magic Lantern, my view is as shown in Picture1.

3.  I then click the play button to view saved footage.

4.  I click the play button again to return and then my view is as shown in Picture2.  It stays like than until I restart the camera.

platu

Not sure how to upload a photo... Is this possible?

nanomad

Use a free image hosting site like imgur
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

platu

Here are photos of my DP4 display which I mentioned in previously...

View before going pressing the play button on the camera...

View after returning from play mode...

ivoborkus

hey guys,

I am still not able to run ML alpha 2 on my 5dMIII.

My 5DMIII is running 1.1.3 software version from canon. I am doing a low-level format and upload the 3 files from the ML download to my SD Card and try to run the firmwareupdate but it just won't work. I redid all the steps like 600 times now, even reinstalled 1.1.3 onmy 5D.

here is a youtube link what it looks like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxuuvy2w9bY&feature=youtu.be

could someone please help me with what I am doing wrong?

mnteddy

Have you tried it without your battery grip?

a1ex

ivoborkus

tried both things already before... wont work...

nanomad

So, a canon ORIGINAL battery and no battery grip won't work? Strange
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ivoborkus

yeah i just dont get it... so for the record, if i download from the link in the first post there are only 3 files in the download! is this right? ML - ml-5D3-113.fir - UserGuide... do I need to press a button when the firmware update is ready or something??

yvan

to ivorbus, it seems you have a problem with an electronic part of your 5 D. I just had this trouble with mine (under warranty) "no recognise the battery, "impossible to communicate with battery". CPN changed the part and everythings ok...

nanomad

Yep, maybe one "wire" connecting the PMC to the battery bay failed. Or maybe the chip in the battery fried itself.
- Do you have that same message even without ML?
- Can you try with another canon-branded battery? (suggestion: go to a photo shop and ask if they'll let you try one)

JasonATL

Played around with recording from the clean HDMI out feature this weekend. Seemed to work quite well. ML was stable, though there were a few times that the image on the HDMI out was inconsistent: sometimes it showed the full 1620x1080 and sometimes only had the framed 1620x912 box even though my settings were to show the full image. I'll try to see if I can replicate it and, perhaps even record it.

Here's a thread I started in the "Post your videos" area with a link to a short video I made of the image from HDMI out and comparison with internal recording: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3489.0

Thanks a1ex! This is working great!

Lcrusher

Quote from: JasonATL on November 05, 2012, 01:23:45 PM
Played around with recording from the clean HDMI out feature this weekend. Seemed to work quite well. ML was stable, though there were a few times that the image on the HDMI out was inconsistent: sometimes it showed the full 1620x1080 and sometimes only had the framed 1620x912 box even though my settings were to show the full image. I'll try to see if I can replicate it and, perhaps even record it.

Here's a thread I started in the "Post your videos" area with a link to a short video I made of the image from HDMI out and comparison with internal recording: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3489.0

Thanks a1ex! This is working great!

There's always a box around the video. Maybe your TV had auto zoom turned on.

JasonATL

Quote from: Lcrusher on November 05, 2012, 02:05:14 PM
There's always a box around the video. Maybe your TV had auto zoom turned on.

You can remove the box (well, the top and bottom): In the ML menu, Display->Clear overlays

Lcrusher

JasonATL

Quote from: Lcrusher on November 05, 2012, 03:24:02 PM
But the pillarbox remains.

Sorry for my confusion and for not being clear. My original post meant that sometimes the letterboxes were there (hence the 1620x912) and sometimes they were not (hence the 1620x1080), but were somewhat inconsistent based on the settings I had. Usually, a press of the ML menu button would correct it.

Jason Montalvo

Seems pretty cool ... sounds like we could effectively remove the recording limit in camera. Very cool video Jason, thanks for testing.

a1ex

I guess it's time to post a small update, mostly with bugfixes.

Download

The most important change is a card test executed at startup. My 16GB (Kingston 266x) card has problems, and I'm trying to diagnose the issue: maybe it's just my card, or maybe it's related to this. If the test fails on your camera, please report.

There are also a few handy tweaks:
- Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
- New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
- 16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
- Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
- After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
- Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
- Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
- Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)

Now, about the photo features. I can enable most of them, but, while running the random stability test, at some point the camera froze; I took the battery out, and found out that LiveView was no longer working (even when booting without card). Cleared camera settings and it's OK now. But this shows clearly that there's something fishy inside.

So, all other features that depend on properties will have to wait until I'll understand what happened. It may take a few months, maybe more, maybe less, I have no idea.

Current alphas are pretty safe, to the best of my knowledge.

itsskin

Simdub

Thank you for this update ;)! Great job! I hope you'll be able to find out what is going wrong! But no matter what, thank you :)!