Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Firmware revision 1.1.3 now has an updated firmware installer:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0

Quote from: Original PostDownload ML for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3.

Usage:
1) Update camera firmware to 1.1.3.
2) Format the card from the camera.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

NOTES
THIS VERSION OF MAGICLANTERN HAS AUTOBOOT DISABLED
Which means you'll have to re-run the firmware update every time you power off the camera.

It's a safety measure: this version will not attempt to change any camera settings. Try it if you are not yet confortable with the nightly builds.

Risks:
- This is one of the safest versions as of right now, but its feature set is quite limited.
- Nothing is written into ROM, and no camera settings are changed by this version, so risks should be minimal.
- If anything goes wrong, we don't pay for repairs. Use Magic Lantern at your own risk!

Features:

- Card test at startup
- Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
- New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
- 16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
- Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
- After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
- Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
- Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
- Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)

From alpha 2:
- Magic Zoom (zoom while recording), experimental focus peaking modes, ghost image, display presets
- Movie indicators, movie logging, rec/standby notification, force LiveView for manual lenses
- Gradual exposure in movie mode
- HDR video
- Brightness, contrast, saturation, display gain, color schemes, UniWB correction, upside-down mode
- Clean HDMI with pillarboxes
- Anamorphic and fisheye correction
- Image review tweaks (exposure adjust, remember zoom position...)
- Task and CPU usage info

From alpha 1:
- zebras, focus peaking, cropmarks, spotmeter, histogram, waveform, vectorscope, audio meters.
- card benchmark, debug info, stability tests.

Tips:
- Disable Auto Power Off.
- Recommended usage: copy ML on a small SD card, keep it in the camera, and use CF cards for shooting.
- You can use any card combination, just don't put ML on both cards.
- EyeFi cards are working!!! (thanks kikouyou)

Known issues:
- Some users reported a few random lock-ups with Alpha 1, but I could not reproduce any.
- The experimental focus peaking modes are a bit too slow (will slowdown LiveView frame rate).

FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY

Want to help with the porting proces? Use this special updater file to enable the bootflag and dump the firmware. With this, you can compile your own autoexec.bin and run it on your camera.

(BE AWARE: This file will set a boot flag which cannot be undone (yet).  This will increase your camera boot time slightly and also increase the wake up time from 0.2 sec to 2 sec.) added by Renato 11-6-2013

You will be able to try the entire ML feature set, but the risks of permanent damage are a lot higher than with the public alphas. Use it at your own risk.

dude

I am ready for testing!
Where can we Download?

a1ex

dude

I know ;)
But thought there s maybe a special page or thread where I can look at to check news.
Seems like this is the page, haha.
Good luck with your work!

wintix

it's like waiting for christmas as a little child all over again ;)

nanomad

Quote from: wintix on September 10, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
it's like waiting for christmas as a little child all over again ;)

Time to build a bit of hype I guess  ;D
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

wintix

wintix

Do you intend to release the alpha version for 1.1.2 or 1.1.3? Just saw you were preparing to get it going with 1.1.3 and am wondering if one should try and get a hold of firmware 1.1.2 for the camera to downgrade, if already at 1.1.3.

a1ex

wintix

a1ex

wintix

exploded?  :o

maybe the wishes were a bit too late.  :-\

photoxication

Arturo Sánchez

Alex do you think in a future ML firmware version for 5DIII will include HDR video?
Would it be possible to do?

a1ex

It will include all important features, this is only the first port.

wintix

is it becoming stable enough for you to release the alpha for 1.1.3 or are we headed for sunday 23:59 which still is this week? :)

a1ex

It works on 1.1.3 just as well as with 1.1.2, no problems here.

wintix

AndreasK

Looks good, working fine on my 5D3

Whats the best settings for the focus peaking ? Or are there no "best" ?

AndreasK

Uhm I can't get it to autoload. I did the firmware update but I get no green screen, it just loads it and runs it. Is that because the alpha doesnt autorun ?

a1ex

Right, there's no autoboot yet.

About focus peaking... experiment with it. Default setting should be a good starting point.

hookah

so far so good.. works great here !!! :)
Only seen some minor redraw hick-ups here and there.
I will play with it for some days before filling out the google doc.
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

wintix

joxxie

just installed it .. seems to be working fine .. will test it out later on today