Download ML for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3
1) Update camera firmware to 1.1.3
2) Format the card from the camera.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update. NOTES THIS VERSION OF MAGICLANTERN HAS AUTOBOOT DISABLED
Which means you'll have to re-run the firmware update every time you power off the camera.
It's a safety measure, so don't ask to remove it until the port is stabler.Risks:
- Alpha 1 was downloaded over 3000 times, so it should be OK.
- Nothing is written into ROM, and no camera settings are changed by this version, so risks should be minimal.
- I didn't run any field testing, there may be rough edges, not recommended for production work.
- If anything goes wrong, we don't pay for repairs. Use Magic Lantern at your own risk!Features:
- Card test at startup
- Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
- New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
- 16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
- Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
- After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
- Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
- Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
- Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)
From alpha 2:
- Magic Zoom (zoom while recording), experimental focus peaking modes, ghost image, display presets
- Movie indicators, movie logging, rec/standby notification, force LiveView for manual lenses
- Gradual exposure in movie mode
- HDR video
- Brightness, contrast, saturation, display gain, color schemes, UniWB correction, upside-down mode
- Clean HDMI with pillarboxes
- Anamorphic and fisheye correction
- Image review tweaks (exposure adjust, remember zoom position...)
- Task and CPU usage info
From alpha 1:
- zebras, focus peaking, cropmarks, spotmeter, histogram, waveform, vectorscope, audio meters.
- card benchmark, debug info, stability tests.Tips
- Disable Auto Power Off.
- Recommended usage: copy ML on a small SD card, keep it in the camera, and use CF cards for shooting.
- You can use any card combination, just don't put ML on both cards.
- EyeFi cards are working!!!
(thanks kikouyou)Known issues
- Some users reported a few random lock-ups with Alpha 1, but I could not reproduce any.
- The experimental focus peaking modes are a bit too slow (will slowdown LiveView frame rate).FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY
Want to help with the porting proces? Use this special updater file
to enable the bootflag and dump the firmware. With this, you can compile your own autoexec.bin
and run it on your camera.
You will be able to try the entire ML feature set, but the risks of permanent damage are a lot higher than with the public alphas. Use it at your own risk.