ML 2.3 Bit Rate Experiment

Started by JasonATL, September 02, 2012, 12:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonATL

Here's my bit rate experiment with my 600D/T3i taken on a windy day in order to get plenty of movement in the frame. CBR 1.0x and CBR 2.4x are used. The difference in the 500% zooms is very clear, but less apparent at 100%. Still, the CBR multiplier is clearly reducing compression artifacts and, therefore, preserving/recording more of the detail that is there. The avg (max) bit rate at 2.4x was about 105 Mb/s (115 Mb/s).

Vimeo users can download the 400MB file, which is the best way to see this experiment.

Please post any thoughts or observations.

jabootee

Thank you for the post.  I didn't know the difference until the end. I was wondering if you can split screen the footage?

JasonATL

Quote from: jabootee on September 06, 2012, 10:45:54 AM
Thank you for the post.  I didn't know the difference until the end. I was wondering if you can split screen the footage?

I can, but I'm not going to bother. The file (that is linked to in this video) has 5 second clips at the two bitrates. Feel free to download that file and then create your own splitscreen. That is why I posted the second file - so you could experiment however you want.

zman6900

this is really cool man. thanks for sharing. It brings new hope for me in my 60D. I been really bummed about the quality lately when it comes time to do color grading. The compression makes it difficult. For the record, I am an amateur and don't know all the tricks yet but I was pretty hell bent on getting the BlackMagic Cam when it comes out. I don't have a card that is that fast but after this vid, I think I'll make the smaller investment first. Can you recommend something for me?

Also, when I do plan on color grading in post, I do shoot flat but if you (or anybody reading this) can give me any pointers beyond that, it'd be great.