Macro video and photography with ML.

Started by dnsdobai, August 20, 2012, 05:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnsdobai

I couldn't find dedicated Macro topic in this forum so I started one.Please share your macro videos/photos here.

Here my first shots with M.L more coming of course  ;-)

and

prabhath.mp

It's beautiful :)

I've also shared my work here (very new to forum). Used a macro tube 16mm with AF, on 50.mm 1.8 prime to record the first & last scenes in video:-

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

albert-e

That was a good example of rack focus. It's quite slow though, why? What's your settings? Thanks

Alec

Great work. Here is an example of some macro shots I took with ML about a year ago. Set up was a 50mm f/1.8 reversed on a 80mm f/11.

prabhath.mp

Quote from: albert-e on September 13, 2012, 03:17:30 PM
That was a good example of rack focus. It's quite slow though, why? What's your settings? Thanks

Hi Albert-e

I was not sure if that question was for me :)

Magic Lantern settings used for Rack Focus:-

- The Auto-Focus has to be turned on on the lens for Rack-Focus to work.
- The rack focus was set at 1 stop (so it is slow)
- I selected Rack Focus (after setting my first object in focus)
- Then, I moved up to 'Rack Focus Here' (identify the object we want to focus) - It will display + or - digits stop (example: +17 stops or -12 stops)
- Under Rack focus we have an option to select Snap/Play (I selected Play).
- Press the record button and while filming, press the play button for the Rack Focus to action.
- Again press the play button for Rack Focus to go back to it's original focus point.
- However, if you would like the Rack focus to delay it's action we can set the delay timer too :)

Hope this explanation helps (I apologize if I have used some non-technical terms as I am still on the phase of learning)

Other details:-

- Lens used: 50 mm 1.8 II (16 mm macro tube converter with AF for few scenes)
- I set the cropmark to 0.26 (on a rough calculation to match 2.35:1 aspect ratio
- Colour was not corrected (as recorded)
- Used Technicolor Cinestyle preset while recording the video

Cheers,
Prabhath MP :)
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

prabhath.mp

Quote from: Alec on September 13, 2012, 06:28:02 PM
Great work. Here is an example of some macro shots I took with ML about a year ago. Set up was a 50mm f/1.8 reversed on a 80mm f/11.

Hey Alec :)

That is beautiful work on Macro video!!

Quite surprised to see how good the reverse lens works for macro-video!

I also am a big fan of reverse lens macro as my interest developed in Macro only after I started photographing macro subjects (with kit lens reversed).

The only problem was we won't have control over the aperture with reverse lens (except if we have some kind of adapter to communicate with the circuit or if we could manually set the aperture - externally/on the lens).

Cheers,
Prabhath MP :)

dnsdobai

This is great!!!

Love it!

I made a new video:
I've been using ML's zebras and focus peak option.