[SOLVED] 5D Mk ii -- Autofocus no longer works

Started by TaleSlinger, August 19, 2012, 02:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaleSlinger

First, thanks for ane awesome addition to the community.   I've been waiting for more than a year for this release. 

However, I have a problem.  I got ML 2.3 and became familiar with it yesterday.  In the evening, I took a series of night long exposures (the longest exposure was probably on the order of 2048 seconds).  I went to bed and left it working.   

I also accidentally left the autofocus on.

This morning, I found the battery dead and The autofocus on my camera doesn't work (I don't know if the lens autofocus is bad, because I only have one camera with me, but i'm sure the camera autofocus is bad, because I have several lenses.

I understood and took seriously the warning  about possibly bricking my camera, I know its on me and I don't know for sure that the problem was caused by ML (though I strongly suspect that it was)  but I thought you would want to know. 

I'll be sending the camera back to Canon next week, and I'll let you know what they have to say about it.

Michael Zöller

A few things you might want to try: Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings?
Have you tried starting up with the dial set to different modes than M?
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

TaleSlinger

Good suggestion.  I reset the camera to factory settings.  Same problem. I've been booting to the standard OS as well, so I know the current actions are not related to ML. 

I also borrowed a random stranger's lens and found that my len's autofocus works fine, and that the problem is with the camera.

a1ex

It's a custom function, reset those too.

TaleSlinger

Thanks, that was the problem.

For others, the fix is to reset "C.Fn.IV: Operation/Others" to the default -- 0.

Michael Zöller

Great to hear your camera is working again! :D
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Alfazzz

Quote from: TaleSlinger on August 20, 2012, 07:25:18 PM
Thanks, that was the problem.

For others, the fix is to reset "C.Fn.IV: Operation/Others" to the default -- 0.

Man, you make my day !!! Was thinking my autofocus was dead...
THANK YOU !!

Community powa !

Frullanium

I changed the AF -M switch on one lens to M and then back to AF. The problem then disappeared on all 4 lenses that previously would not autofocus except for the A setting.