Is HVEC (H.265) A Codec? If Not Can It Be Implemented

Started by TiresomeToe933, December 08, 2017, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiresomeToe933

Hi,

Note To Moderator Reading This: Sorry, I am new here and if this is considered a codec, I am sorry but I am an idiot to ask

I was wondering if we could implement this, it can maintain the quality of H.264 but up to 40% more compressed so it would help with storing raw files. Again I am confused about codecs so a basic explanation would be nice. VP9 would also be nice. Something that would be definitely possible would have a menu that had all of the compatible codecs so you could change between them.

Walter Schulz

H.264 recording is implemented in hardware (chip designed to encode data to H.264). There is no way to implement H.265 (or any other encoder) because performance delivered via DiGiC will not be able to process video data in realtime.

There are plenty of documents available what encoding in general and H.264 (and it's varieties) in particular does. Use search engine of your choice.

And before asking questions you might want to do a local search to avoid duplicate questions already been answered.

And " it would help with storing raw files" does not make any sense.

BTW: Latest experimental builds are able to use lossless data compression.