Help: Canon 70d will not turn on after using ML

Started by modernflight, November 21, 2017, 09:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modernflight

Hello, out there!

Recently I have used the Magic lantern build for the latest version of the Canon 70d. It was working perfectly for a couple days but recently the LCD screen crashes after a minute or so and I am left with a glitch like pattern on my lcd. The only way to remove this was to take the battery out. I tried using a different SD card and still happened so I removed magic lantern from the initial SD card through the standard format option in the camera menu. Following this the LCD crashed like it did before, out of desperation I then formatted the SD card using a computer and tried again but the same problem remained. Finally after continually trying the camera eventually would not turn on and now I am here unsure what to do, I've been trying to follow the trouble shooting guides but I really don't know whats going on.

Any help would  be greatly appreciated!

Walter Schulz

Make sure to backup ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN (if any) stored on your ML card to another device.
Use EOScard (Windows) or Macboot (OS X/macOS) to make card bootable again. Copy "Portable Display Test" Autoexec.bin to card. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0
Remove battery.
Insert card.
Insert battery.
After closing battery lid your cam should show diagnostic message.
Report back.

lmixon77

The 70D is flaky without ML loaded. Mine froze for no reason. This was after Canon replaced a failed CPU post-warranty for $400 (a known issue with 70D's). All without ever loading ML. The fix for me was to load a fresh card and battery, then switch the ON/OFF button back and forth quickly and firmly. It eventually powered up. Go figure. I also have an 80D with no problems. I recently loaded ML on the 70D to film raw, and I have had no problems since. Good luck.