Author Topic: Is there any "new" method to prevent T5i to stop liveview after 30 minutes ?  (Read 250 times)

Dihelson

• New to the forum

Hello, fellows,

After many months, more than a year away from the forum, I came back to know if there´s yet any advancement, or any idea on how to prevent Canon T5i to stop liveview automatically after 30 minutes. I use these cameras for live broadcasts, using the  HDMI output, but having to turn on the cameras every 30 minutes is like a fellow once said "Ain´t that a kick in the head"...So, any tips on how preventing it from doing so in 2017 ?

Thanks in advance.

Canon 5D Mark II, 700D, Panasonic Fz200 | Canon 24-70mm f2.8L | 17-40mm f4.0L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 50mm f1.8 | Blackmagic, Avermedia 4K cards

dfort

I use these cameras for live broadcasts, using the  HDMI output...

A while back there was a similar issue with someone using an EOSM as a wildlife trap camera. I wrote a simple lua script that kept the camera alive. One issue with what you are doing is that it might show a glitch when the lua script triggers a shutter half-press event.

EOSM.202 EOSM.203 EOSM2.103 700D.115 5D3.*

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
Look in powersave.c under "Canon's powersave timer". These functions are currently used for raw video, silent pictures and a few other long-running things (such as benchmarks or Lua scripts).

This gives the easiest workaround: with the lua_fix or crop_rec_4k build, start a Lua script that does nothing, e.g.
Code: [Select]
-- Powersave workaround
while true do
   msleep(1000)
end

TODO: add this feature to ML menu (easy coding task).

AeroSimGaming

• Just arrived
Hey guys!

I was about to spam a post and this is the exact issue I have.  Currently I am using the T5i as a live stream camera for working on airplanes.  Problem is exactly the 30min power off, so I have to drag myself away from the aircraft, reset the camera then go back.  Its pretty hard to get any work done!

Should I go ahead and create this lua script here by A1ex?  Or will this be apart of a nightly build in the near future?

I have not used any of the lua scripting before on the camera so I am a complete noob there and dont want to do anything wrong! The other question is there any difference between the "do nothing" lua script and the "half shutter press" script?  Or do they just achieve the same thing?

Thanks!

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
Try and report. The powersave change is recent, so back in 2016, half-shutter was needed to reset the timer (which is hidden somewhere in Canon code, and regular button "presses" from software did not touch it).

I did not test it against the 30-minute LiveView timeout; only against the 1-minute auto power off.