Magic Lantern crop_rec 5D3 test with Zeiss Otus and CN-E lenses

Started by D_Odell, October 28, 2017, 11:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Odell

Highly unscientific pixel peping test of resolution with Canon 5D mark III and Otus primes. How sharp can a 5D3 be with sharp primes?

Download source file: 1080p (1,8 GB Prores 4444)

Canon 5D3 with 1.1.3 firmware and Magic Lantern Crop_rec module.
Zeiss Otus 55mm in crop rec and in 1080p 3x3 binary.
Zeiss Otus 28mm in crop rec, lastly a flairtest.
Canon CN-E 14mm, lasty a flairtest.
In the end you find a 100% crop comparison.

Interesting that Otus is nearly totally resistant to flairs.

Hope someone find it interesting. And download if you can. Sorry but I forgot to take a closeup of a character...

If some one has a resolution chart with a Alexa or such (not Red) and Master primes or such Zeiss, that would be really interesting to compare to.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Teamsleepkid

so are you going to shoot 1080 or crop? what do you prefer?
EOS M

D_Odell

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on October 28, 2017, 11:52:27 PMso are you going to shoot 1080 or crop? what do you prefer?

Shooting wize nothing beats normal 3x3 binary with live view. But if you have the tools to do Crop rec in live situations with actors the resolution really looks great!

Teamsleepkid

how can you frame? i wanna use the 5x crop mode whatever its called but i can't see the framing at higher resolutions. can you see it on a monitor? I don't have one to try?
EOS M

D_Odell

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on October 29, 2017, 12:04:23 AM
how can you frame? i wanna use the 5x crop mode whatever its called but i can't see the framing at higher resolutions. can you see it on a monitor? I don't have one to try?

If you choose Frozen LV or equivalent you get an black and whit low res image you can frame with but hardly focus with.

Teamsleepkid

ok same here. i thought maybe the mark iii was different than my eos m.
EOS M