Eos m series

Started by quantumrider, October 19, 2017, 05:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quantumrider

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking to get Eos m series camera,  purely from magic Lantern user perspective,  which one of the Eos m cameras would offer best bang for the buck?

Or perhaps there is a better option in Eos cameras,  although I'm leaning to m as I like it's form factor a lot.

Thank you all very much for any suggestions or ideas!
5D2|ML 2.3|55mm f/1.2

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> Your camera is not listed -> Last line.
Beginning with M3 Canon switched to PowerShot firmware for EOS M line. Leaves EOS M and M2 for porting. And M2 not ported yet. Read EOS M thread for more info and Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> Features
for available features.

dfort

Much shorter answer -- the original EOS-M is the only Canon mirrorless that has been ported to Magic Lantern.

I've got 4 of them (OK--I'm crazy). You can get one for about $150 USD and it is a great way to experiment with Magic Lantern. Please be aware that it can't do all of the ML tricks and it has some rather weird issues like the dreaded Shutter-bug and it can't record what is known as mv1080 video. Check out this article I wrote a while back encouraging developers to get an EOSM:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16608.0

Oh yeah, I also got an EOSM2 just for the challenge but really, stick with the original and if you're into Magic Lantern, forget the rest of the M's.

JohanJ

If you are both in still photography and filming than the M2 is definitively the better choice over the M due to a better hybrid CMOS AF II - in the near future hopefully even with ML capability. @dfort and @a1ex have put a lot of energy in porting ML to this model, lots of things can be emulated already in QEMU. There are some new DryOS settings to be identified to make it happen. If you are eager to develop maybe you can assist to finalise the port?

Sent from my SM-T719 using Tapatalk

60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

a1ex

Correction: they are identified and already used on 100D and 70D (would be nice to get better feedback from 6D); I just want to merge them into mainline before continuing on M2. I need some help with testing, please check the pull requests page.

edit: to be clear, I'm primarily looking for help with testing the updates to ML build process and the QEMU workflow on the PC, on various operating systems, not with testing ML binaries on the camera.

garry23

I can't keep up with @dfort  ;), however, as a still photographer I love my two EOSMs. I have had one IR converted and together, they represent a very small travel footprint. I have the 11-22 WA EOSM lens, as well as one that covers out to 200mm, cropped.

I also use two of my scripts to make life easier, i.e. my focus bar, which includes focus stacking, and my toggler, so I can switch ML states with a button press.

Bottom line: I love my EOSMs.

dfort

Quote from: garry23 on October 19, 2017, 10:39:40 AM
I have the 11-22 WA EOSM lens...

Me too, my favorite lens for the EOSM.

I can't keep up with @a1ex. Almost missed his post on this topic. I have a branch of the EOSM2 merged with the new-dryos-task-hooks and am planning on getting back on QEMU with it soon. I completely missed that updates to ML build process pull request.