HELP! How to format footage!!!! ML Canon 5d mark iii

Started by spc.ramirez, October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc.ramirez

Hey, guys! Well, this might be a dumb question, but maybe you guys can shed some light on this issue. So, I have ML on my 5d mark iii, followed everything step by step. I use the 10/12 bit version. Now, when I record and then I transfer to my computer, it use to say "PS" on my files, not they are blank with MLV. I use to just put the files that had "PS" into the converting software, but now since it says "MLV". it doesnt work. Im bummed and dont know what to do.

In additon, is there any settings you guys prefer to get the absolute best picture with the magic lantern? THis is all new to me, and would like to get it right instead of always being wrong.

Walter Schulz

Not telling which OS in use, converter software not named either and we really would be bothered if a version number/date is mentioned -> Please browse Post-processing Workflow  board and select a workflow for your needs.

spc.ramirez

sorry about that. well, im using a mac mid 2013. 3.5ghz with 32gb ram and tb fusion.

I was using mlv to movie, but I just dont know how to switch from MLV back to RAW. I know if i shoot raw, then it shows "PS" rather than MLV_0012 and so on. Or am I wrong?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: spc.ramirez on October 24, 2017, 11:03:55 PM
well, im using a mac mid 2013. 3.5ghz with 32gb ram and tb fusion.
OS X/macOS version in use?
I was using mlv to movie,
Never heard of a software named MLV To Movie. If there is such a software it would have a version number, too.
but I just dont know how to switch from MLV back to RAW.
Sorry, never heard of going to RAW from MLV as a requirement but for outdated software unable to cope with DNG/cDNG.
I know if i shoot raw, then it shows "PS" rather than MLV_0012 and so on. Or am I wrong?
No MLV converter I'm aware of is producing files with extension PS. MLV/RAW never produced files with PS as extension.

Summing it up: The infos you are giving are incomplete and misleading. If you insist of not giving basic information about the tools you are working with you have to live with a rather unspecific advice to visit RAW video post-processing forum here and lookup workflows suited for your needs. You are running macOS/OS X though you may have a look into MLVFS or Switch or MLVProcessor or ...

GiGo -> Garbage in, Garbage out

And, please, do *not* crosspost!

dmilligan

The Mac finder automatically (and incorrectly) associates files with the .RAW extension with the application Photoshop (not sure if this is by default or only if you have Photoshop installed), and gives them an icon that is a document with the letters "PS" on it. This was one of the reasons I wanted to drop the old .RAW extension completely. It's a very common term that may very likely be associated with the incorrect application by unwitting OS, confusing users who don't know any better than to trust their OS's interpretation of file extensions. The same thing happens with autoexec.bin but that one has to be named that, there's nothing we can do.

OP simply needs to update to a converter that supports the newer and better .MLV format.

spc.ramirez

yeah, its weird. It use to show up as "PS" and now it doesnt. Also, when I first purchased the camera, magic lantern worked fine with RAWLITE but now doesnt work. Another converter says that my files were recorded in raw and im 100% sure they were

Walter Schulz

I think he means RAWmagic Lite. This program and all discussion about it is banned here. Because of http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.0