60D 60fps RAW Test Video

Started by Rob Curd, October 13, 2017, 11:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Curd

Hi Guys,

My first true venture into shooting raw. I have been using magic lantern for a while but never raw. I love slo mo so chose to shoot everything in 60fps.

Check out the video: https://youtu.be/uxsOHBmeQ4s

Would love some feedback!

My experiences:
Due to the small buffer on the 60d card trying to shoot 60fps at the highest resolution possible I was getting a max of 11 second clips.
I used Lightroom to grade the footage, this is a program I am comfortable with so having that flexibility was great!
Having crop marks when actually recording would of been handy.

bpv5P

Hey, that's good! There's some issues with flickering, moire effect, heterogeneous color grading and some noisy footages, but overall it's pretty good. These issues are probably related with your lightroom workflow. I would suggest you expose your scenes +2 f-stops above the normal and give it a try to MLVProducer instead. You can export a AlexaLog ProRes or DNxHR 4:4:4 and grade with Lumetri and 3D LUTs (these or these and this one, for example) in Premiere Pro (you're probably already using PP anyway).
The smooth transition should be applied on the aspect ratio you're working (2.35:1, it seems) and just on final export you should fit it in 16:9. That way the effect only apply inside the aspect ratio you're working, not outside as in the video.

Have you tried 10bit MLV? If you set a resolution with your working aspect ratio (such as 1920x817) and 10bit you can probably record much more than 11 sec. (assuming you have a fast card, ~35MB/s).

I like these travel short videos, feels good. Check out Benjamin F. Leftwich and Bon Iver, I find they always a good choice for this kind of video...

Rob Curd

Bpv5P, thank you so much! :)

I am about to google the terms you first mentioned ha.

With the over exposure I have been used to shooting photography slightly underexposed do not to loose the highlights. So when I am shooting is that 2 tiny steps over exposed. I feel like shooting two whole stops over would leave me with a near white image in the sun ha.

Thanks! I will check that out, until now my workflow has been raw2dng > dng to Lightroom and then Lightroom to jpeg (I did try psd and tiff however file sizes were larger than the original which seemed dumb). JPEG to Premeire pro. All very time consuming! Ha

When you mention the transitions are you talking about the zooms? If so I want sure how to apply to just that aspect ratio, did I need to change my sequence setting to 2.35:1 but just export to 16:9?

I have heard of it however unsure again how to change to 10bit, I usually keep up with the nightly builds, is it a setting with mlv raw or another module I need to load?

Thank you I will check them out.

Thank you for being so generous with your time, appologies for all the repeat questions however it's just so interesting to me!

bpv5P

Hi Rob Curd, sorry if I haven't answered you... for some reason it didn't show me your reply on my account (or I just forgot to answer).
Anyway:
I feel like shooting two whole stops over would leave me with a near white image in the sun ha.

Yes, but only if you "clip" your highlights. You should use raw histograms and check if it's not clipped (out of the histogram). If it's not, then you can recover on post-processing using software...
ETTR is great if you know how to use, it will generate images with much less noise and higher dynamic range.

All very time consuming! Ha

Yes, your post-processing is not ideal one. I would suggest you use MLVProducer, it's very simple to use.

I need to change my sequence setting to 2.35:1 but just export to 16:9?

Exactly, that's the right way to do that...

is it a setting with mlv raw or another module I need to load?

It's like a "other version" of Magic Lantern. You can download here:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Thank you for being so generous with your time

No problem, you're welcome.

Rob Curd

Quote from: bpv5P on October 27, 2017, 02:30:53 AM
Hi Rob Curd, sorry if I haven't answered you... for some reason it didn't show me your reply on my account (or I just forgot to answer).
Anyway:
Yes, but only if you "clip" your highlights. You should use raw histograms and check if it's not clipped (out of the histogram). If it's not, then you can recover on post-processing using software...
ETTR is great if you know how to use, it will generate images with much less noise and higher dynamic range.

Yes, your post-processing is not ideal one. I would suggest you use MLVProducer, it's very simple to use.

Exactly, that's the right way to do that...

It's like a "other version" of Magic Lantern. You can download here:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

No problem, you're welcome.

Thank you again!

I mentioned you in the other thread you kindly replied on as I tried 10bit RAW and it total changed my opinion on RAW.

Previously there was a huge delay from pressing record to capture but this was seamless.

I have a Canon 60d so limited by the buffer, I was able to get 1728x736 but 720p raw is far superior to h.264 1080p?

I am on a Mac so I have run mlvproducer on wine so will see how that hold up but looks very comprehensive from what I've seen.

My next projects are learning ETTR, Reading histograms and waveforms not to mention the colour grading / correcting rabbit hole!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpv5P

Quote from: Rob Curd on October 28, 2017, 08:30:51 AM
I have a Canon 60d so limited by the buffer, I was able to get 1728x736 but 720p raw is far superior to h.264 1080p?

Well, you should test it... 1728x736 in raw, interpolated to 1080p, will have better overall quality than highly compressed native h.264 recording. If you're worried about storage space, you can process the raw, save it in a lossy compressed file such as HEVC 40MB/s (Log) and then delete the original raw file. It will still be better than h.264 in terms of SNR, dynamic range, color accuracy, etc.

Rob Curd

I plan to save it in pro res 444, I understand that's still slightly compressed though.

As for the interpolation, I have been searching for an answer on that one. Will I export to 1080p pro res and that's how it's upscaled? Or am I missing something?

bpv5P

It depends on what software you're using, but most of them will interpolate using bad algorithms (nearest-neighbor interpolation). If you want good quality you should use something like Lanczos. There's some software that does this good interpolation, just search for it (I even think that there's plugins for premiere pro and after effects, I used to use AVIsynth's Spline64, though).

Rob Curd

Quote from: bpv5P on October 29, 2017, 02:06:27 AM
It depends on what software you're using, but most of them will interpolate using bad algorithms (nearest-neighbor interpolation). If you want good quality you should use something like Lanczos. There's some software that does this good interpolation, just search for it (I even think that there's plugins for premiere pro and after effects, I used to use AVIsynth's Spline64, though).