Behind the scene being shot on Compressed raw 50fps (Alexa emulation)

Started by wangtrirat, September 26, 2017, 06:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangtrirat

Another 5D mark lll raw used on set when it available after switch to alexa in scene.

This clip shot on 5D Mark lll with Canon Prime EF CN-E 35,50
Using 1920 3x3 binning readout for 1920x960 resolution at 50p. Using Experiments ML Crop 4K compressed MLV build.

Post processing MLVFS to mount MLV then edit and grade straight out from Resolve 14 studio with Alexa emulation.

Note : Davinci 14 take out black sun spot completely make this the best highlight roll-off clip I ever shot and grade on ML RAW.

http://vimeo.com/235533941
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

IDA_ML

Could you please post a link to your video?  I cannot see it here.  Thanks.

wangtrirat

DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

Oedipax

I think a lot of people running Chrome are not seeing video links in some cases because of some kind of script error. Although for me at the moment the video link is rendering fine, sometimes I have to go up to the address bar on the right side and tell it to ignore script warnings or some such thing. It's only this forum that I've ever encountered that problem so maybe it could be tweaked on the server side?

Oedipax

And the video looks great as well!

Do you think the Alexa emulation would be a valid LUT for any circumstance or was it mostly matched to the camera's response in those specific conditions? Would love to get a crack at that Alexa emulation LUT, as I'm sure many others would too :)

wangtrirat

Quote from: Oedipax on September 27, 2017, 10:26:18 PM
And the video looks great as well!

Do you think the Alexa emulation would be a valid LUT for any circumstance or was it mostly matched to the camera's response in those specific conditions? Would love to get a crack at that Alexa emulation LUT, as I'm sure many others would too :)

I put Davinci OFX Color space transform to convert BMD film to S-gamut.Cine with Canon log Gamma convert to ARRI Alexa + Log-C then pass through Alexa ARRI Log-C to Rec.709 LUT.

Setting in RAW put color boost to 20 and saturation to about 5. Lift and gain adjusted up to you. This produced ARRI Log-C + ARRI Alexa gamut for more color grading than just put ARRI LUT into. I barely distinguish between real one and 5D RAW. Which easily to grade like ARRI did to there color science. The skin just pop no filmlook or keying required. Golden tone with pinkish touch.

Canon Log Gamma just matched to what sensor captured though it's being indicated in resolve as Blackmagic film.

Here is what before input into Alexa LUT

tiny image host
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

davilucho

Great videooo!!!
Please, could you share the settings you used to shoot in 50fps?? aspect,ratio, bitdepth etc,
Thanks a lot

wangtrirat

Quote from: davilucho on September 29, 2017, 08:33:31 PM
Great videooo!!!
Please, could you share the settings you used to shoot in 50fps?? aspect,ratio, bitdepth etc,
Thanks a lot

It's 1920x960 50/60 3x3 Binning It's about 2:1 aspect and 14 bit Lossless forced by this mode as default.
DP, Colorist, Technician
Canon 5D Mark III
Sony A7s, Sony FS7

viniciusone

Which Log did you set into the camera while shooting? I tried the same workflow using Cinestyle profile and it doesn't affected my image after converting to .Dng at all. I just got a Raw image without any Log.

Would mind doing a tutorial for us? Your result are stunning this way!

Thank's!!

D_Odell

Quote from: viniciusone on October 02, 2017, 01:27:00 AM
Which Log did you set into the camera while shooting? I tried the same workflow using Cinestyle profile and it doesn't affected my image after converting to .Dng at all. I just got a Raw image without any Log.

Would mind doing a tutorial for us? Your result are stunning this way!

Thank's!!
You can't have a log in camera ON raw material. You shoot raw and you choose LUT / LOG colour space for grading or do it manually your self. Many misconceptions here..
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie