AETTR not activating? Are my conditions wrong or am I missing a bit of setup?

Started by 6DinJapan, August 28, 2017, 02:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6DinJapan

6D.

I went through the AETTR wiki quite a few times and double checked that all the settings are correct but...

Mode set to manual, Mraw, no jpeg. Shooting with viewfinder or live view I can see the histogram but no 'E-' value appears and on 'Always on' or 'Auto snap', the camera doesn't trigger another picture or seem to do any calculating of exposure settings. I have tried with under- and over-exposing, with low contrast and high contrast shots.

What's going on?

Walter Schulz

For debugging purposes don't use M/Sraw.
ML histogram only available in LV, not viewfinder. Toggle screens by pressing INFO button until ML overlay screen appears.

6DinJapan

Hi Walter, thanks for the pointers--that got it working!

A couple questions:

The 2nd shot still comes up with E 0.9 or something similar, which means that the result has not been completely ETTR, correct? Should I adjust and shoot again in this case?

If I'm going to modify the RAW later, don't I want a shot taken at ISO 100? Is a shot taken at a high ISO and darkened superior to an underexposed shot at a better ISO?

thanks again!

garry23

Check your highlight and midtone SNR limits,your highlight ignore value and your exposure target.

For 'pure' ETTR, SNRs should be off and the exposure target the lowest it will go, eg 0.5Ev.