Question before installing ML 2.3 on 5D Mii (I'm paranoid)

Started by huertaaj, August 13, 2012, 11:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huertaaj

The instructions for installation of ML 2.3 say to unzip ALL files to the ROOT directory of the pre-formatted CF card.  However, I can see that unzipping the ML main file will result in several directories (cropmks, data, doc), each containing their own files, which means that all of these files won't be in the ROOT directory of the CF card.  Do I just unzip to the CF card as described above (ignoring that all of those files won't be in the ROOT directory), install ML on the camera, and then reformat the CF card?

Lupo

Did you use ML before?

Just unzip it in your card root directory, ignore the directories within the zip file, just move it all to your card; then launch the firmware update process.

In case you have an older version of ML, follow the update process or do a fresh install, formatting (checking the remove ML option) your card.
EOS T2i & EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 50 f/1,8; Cosina 28-210 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5,6; Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3,5-4,5; Samyang 14 f/2,8; Tamron SP 24-70 f/2,8; Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II

huertaaj

Thanks for the answer.  This is the first ML install on this camera.  Also.... is it OK to reformat the CF card after installing ML on the camera or do the unzipped ML files have to remain on the CF card for ML to continue working?

Lupo

You can reformat the card anytime you need. When you format your card (with your camera) after installing ML, you will be asked to format it KEEPING  ML installed or removing it.
And yes, the camera boots from your card once ML is installed instead using only Canon firmware so, for ML to run, you need to keep all the ML files in you card.
EOS T2i & EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 50 f/1,8; Cosina 28-210 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5,6; Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3,5-4,5; Samyang 14 f/2,8; Tamron SP 24-70 f/2,8; Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II

huertaaj

Thanks for that reply.  It would be nice if that were documented in the ML online instructions.  So, if I wanted to revert to normal Canon firmware 2.1.2, could I just remove the CF card with ML on it and install a freshly formatted CF card without ML on it?  If that's true, is there a proper procedure for going back and forth between the two systems?

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Francis

Uninstall instructions are clearly laid out in the installation instructions here.

A proper procedure for using it sometimes is either having 2 cards. 1 with ML installed, and 1 without. Switch between them at will and you should have no problems. The alternative is to have ML on all your cards and when you wish to not boot the camera with ML, hold down the SET button as you turn it on.