never get ok results with filmconvert?

Started by favvomannen, August 18, 2017, 06:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

favvomannen

i shoot raw with 50d and t4i  and get a very nice picture right out of acr. skintones are beautiful, albleit a bit too wide range of colours in other parts of the image.  i dont use log/flat image right now, loving the canon original colours.

when applying filmconvert every preset gives wierd brownish or to orangy skintones. needing to lower filmconverts colour to 15% to be usable but it makes little difference to the picture.

is it this way, am i doin wrong? (will start using a log profile soon though)

Deadcode

Filmconvert is designed to use with recommended settings, such as Canon Standard, Natural, Cinestyle, Marvel. These profiles are way undersaturated compared to raw processed ACR.
On the other hand, you can find color settings for Raw videos in filmconvert if you are using 5D Mark III profile (all of the canon cameras have the the same colour)
Unfortunetly if you want to use Filmconvert with it's ACR profile you have to process the files in ACR with a given preset.. (brightness +50...)
But if you do your process through Davinci Resolve with BMDFilm Log, there is a profile for that in filmconvert.

bpv5P

No the answer you want, but I might suggest you just use 3D LUT's, like the ones from ImpulZ or the free ones you can find (even the Ektar emulation from a ML user, you can find here on forum). You can put them on Lumetri and work from there. This is precise and way faster than filmconvert.
I see you're asking questions related to "cinematic look". I'd recommend you read this entire thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17589.msg183087#msg183087

favvomannen

i know most things about the cinematic look. just dont want filmconvert screwing up epic canon skintones. i must be using filmconvert wrong though. ill try the further above tip.

reddeercity

Filmconvert works very nicely with magic lantern raw.
5D Mark ii , Sigma 50mm prime --short news doc. I did in Dec/2014
Frame Export from Final Cut Pro X time line Graded using Film Convert Pro-Fuji 8543VD

Paul Serup - Who Killed Abraham Lincoln-Graded With FilmConvertPro
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

What impressed me the most was the skin tones.

You can read the full post on the workflow in the link below.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14137.msg136106#msg136106
It all came down to having correct video monitoring preview that color spaced managed ,
I use either my blackmagic USB 3.0 Ultra Studio SDI device (HDMI output --rec709 broadcast safe 16-253 )
and a calibrated HDTV --HDMI monitor with sRGB work well too or my AJA Kona Lhi capture card (color managed to full range)
depending on nle (fcpx can preview thought apple's color managed to a second monitor --broadcast safe range) but it need to be calibrated .
Invest in a good colorimeter , I use a datacolor Spyder 3 for my computer monitors & datacolor Spyder 4TV HD for my grading Panasonic plasma monitor/HDTV
Sorry I kind when out topic here , but it's really important to accurately see what your grading no matter if you use h264 , ml raw , LOG to LUTS or just filmconvertpro .

my 2 cents worth