Stephen King under a Magic Lantern :)

Started by massimo volta, August 14, 2017, 01:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massimo volta

Hello Magic Lantern Wild Bunch, I'll attach here a link to download my short film Nona, from a Stephen King story. The film is a Dollar Baby, it means that is officially based on King's work and also that King himself approved its distribution through festivals etc. Since it's a totally non-profit film I cannot put it on a website or, obviously, sell it but I can send it to people who are curious to see it (and of course festivals everywhere, as we already did with satisfaction).

The reason I'm putting the link here is that the film is entirely shot with a 5DmkIII with the wonderful Magic Lantern RAW profile and graded in Davinci Resolve. I want to use this post to publicly thanks the amazing Danne for all the incredible patience and support! Now, if you dare, here's the link:

https://transfer.pcloud.com/download.html?code=5ZYUyoZ5UQBSkcIdOzZCyPRZUsnBEeBfxE8Qh3Ix0oBDIXiYouX0

The_bald_guy

The project is huge! Congrats for the production value and all. Looks like it could be a feature. But on the black levels side. Did you export in Video levels or Full Data levels? I know there is a lift in the color palette but I wanted to make sure. It looks lifted because of the export in video levels.

massimo volta

Thank you!!! I'm so glad you like it, it has been a huge work, almost one year in the making since we all had jobs to take care during the production (as I said it's a non-profit film). About the black levels I always export with Video Levels on resolve but I believe here the problem is the conversion to h264 in order to obtain a manageable 720p 2gigs file - the original proresHQ is almost 60 gigs... I notice that the player also makes a huge difference, for instance the worst one is always quicktime which almost all the time unbalance all the black levels... did you try to watch it with VLC?

Danne

Great work Massimo. Just watched it. The work that you put into this must be massive. Great sharing. Keep up the good progress.

GutterPump

Amazing work, congratulation for all the team behind this movie.

DeafEyeJedi

Just watched it. Indeed it is an incredibly great piece of work from @massimo volta and even more incredible that @Danne's amazing script work was part of this success. Keep it up and thanks for sharing w us!

Also would you mind sharing your settings used within Canon/ML as well your post workflow (was this converted to a log in prior to the grade in Resolve?) if by at all possible?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

massimo volta

Thank you very much for all the wonderful comments, guys! I decided to post it here because ML was paramount in order for Nona to look the way I wanted. I believe ML has some kind of true "magic" feel, truly cinematic, and the only camera I used that is comparable in term of filmic quality is the obvious Alexa (and believe me, I used almost all the camera on the market), that's why the only RAW camera I personally own is the 5D with ML, and other cameras I prefer to rent for specific job requirements.

Nona has been shot in RAW and converted using mighty Danne's cr2hdr app, then imported in Davinci Resolve using the Blackmagic gamma setting and reducing sharpness to 0 (I hate the over sharpened images of HD which seem to be the obsession of everyone nowadays, that's why I love vintage lenses) . I edited and graded in Davinci, using a little bit of the M31 lut (at a value between 40 to 60%) and working mostly with the color temperature to give the feeling I needed for every scene, then used the Filmconvert plugin to add grain. We used 6 64gb CF cards and in the end the RAW and DNG archive was in the terabyte territory...

The camera settings were pretty simple: never went above 320ASA and played a little with the shutter speed when I needed a certain nervous look. The film has been shot using classic Nikons from the 70's (20/4 and 35/2), a Russian Mir-1B wide-angle lens 37/2.8  and the mighty canon 50mm 1.2 (I just adore the exaggerate out of focus it gives)... Other camera settings were very basic since the RAW module bypasses almost all the settings...

Thank you again for taking the time to see Nona! Soon I'll post the trailer of the first feature we're shooting, again with 5D and ML :)

Frank7D

massimo volta

I'll re-upload it tonight, unfortunately PCloud is just 5 days...

nikfreak

finally watched it.
Congrats. Amazing work.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

massimo volta

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!!! Thanks for watching it :)

massimo volta

UPDATE: THE DOWNLOAD TRAFFIC MADE THE LINK EXPLODE (I put the link also on my Facebook page)! I'M UPLOADING IT ON DROPBOX AND TOMORROW SHOULD BE READY: SORRY FOR THE DELAY AND THANKS FOR THE INTEREST

Kharak

Very nice movie indeed.

Just thought I'd inform you, as you wrote "I never went over 320 ASA". The ISO's in MLV/Raw/CR2 are actually following the analog power. Which are ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200... etc. 160 ISO is recorded to the sensor as ISO 200, 320 is 400. All other ISO levels between the Analog ISO's are digitally pulled from the Analog signal and only affect JPEG and H264 outputs. I think it is very important to know this, as you might end up cheating yourself on exposure. So in actuality, you never went above 400 ASA/ISO. :) Just FYI.

Keep up the good work!
once you go raw you never go back

massimo volta

@Kharak: Yes, you're right!! I was confused between the Canon ISO settings and the ML (indeed on the screen always appeared 400ISO)!

Here's the new link for the film, now downloadable again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rsjpuxq21q8ha9/AADGX_aHAmwN-Ugg3Zmen4IEa?dl=0

Thanks!!!

viniciusone

Thank's for sharing this masterpiece with us!!

I'm quite curious about your monitoring on set. Which external monitor did you use for this one?

I'm trying to figure out a fast way to uploads my shots on macbook since you can't play direct on camera without a frame skipping.
It sucks when you watching afterwards and discovery that a scene is out of focus or with a wrong composition.

sigurdneby

Holy shit, congratulations! I am lost for words, you really know how to set the mood and walk that extra mile!