Best ML compatible ASP-C camera for shooting video?

Started by blatzkrov, August 09, 2017, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatzkrov

Hi everyone. I have searched for this question on the internet and here as well but I could only find answers regarding the full frame cameras. I can't afford any right now. I am reading alot of comments when it comes to cheap and good cameras that Canon 700D is good. I also read in some places that it is the best crop sensor camera for ML video shooting as well. Is it really true? Do you have any arguments or counter-arguments? Also, I know the difference between 650D and 700D is almost not even a difference because it is not a big one but for a first camera to be bought, is 650D ok? I mean I can only find them used more than I would find an 700D SH (can't afford a new one). Thanks

whitelight

The best APS-C camera compatible with ML is currently the 7D. You can find it used at a comparable price to a 700D.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, requirements unclear therefore answers volatile.

What are you looking for? Highest resolution? AF in movie mode? Audio options? RAW support or just H.264?
Define your priorities and we might be able to give an answer.

kyrobb

I'll try to summarize what I know for you. The 650D and 700D are quite similar yes. You won't get full HD Raw video in 16:9 though due to write speed limitations though. You'll get close in 10 bit raw shooting 2.35:1 if that helps. If you're on a tight budget but raw doesn't really matter to you but having ML does, I would get one of those, or even an old 600D or 550D(these are pretty useless for raw however). If Raw video is important I'd try for a 7D (original not mark 2) or even an old 50D(lower resolution). Write speeds are good due to the CF cards on these two cams. I believe the 70D has a ML alpha build but it has the same Raw capabilities as the 650D and 700D. In H.264 video though it may be the best of the bunch, as it has built-in ALL-I compression(higher bitrate). Find the sweet spot between your needs and budget and see what you get! Hope this helps.

blatzkrov

Thank you for all of your responses. I have looked on the internet about some info regarding 7D, 70D and 50D as about 700D I have some ideas (had the opportunity to test it for a few days somewhere else with the ML features but no time to convert and edit some raw footage because I had no PC for that). Unfortunately I can't afford the 70D or the 7D although I've seen some sweet raw footage on Youtube. I find the 50D a little too old and not really worth it but I am still open to suggestions related to it and arguments.

I'd use the camera for both video and photo but I want the best features to be on the video part since I want to focus on that.
My priorities in order are these:

1. Shooting footage that can imitate the visual cinematic feel as best as possible in camera. I know we are talking about cheap cameras but at least I can try to have footage that I can later edit so I can get some sort of a cinematic feel. I am gonna use the camera for slow and easy shots of scenery and people (like in a slow music video or a slow short movie with not so much movement) and more active shots (like action shots).By this look I mean: (editable) details in the video so raw filming is a necessary feature and a bare minimum of 720p as a resolution with continuous filming at 24p;
2.Hopefully 60 fps on the H.264 codec at a 720p resolution. It's a great feature that I love because I can make it play slower giving me smoother footage but most importantly some pleasing results if fitted right;
3. Sound doesn't really matter. If I am gonna film something that randomly happens I don't need raw filming and I am sure that every camera nowadays has sound along with H.264 video; I will get an external mic or recorder sometime.
4.Ok or decent AF during filming is good but not really necessary. I am gonna use the camera for pre-planned shots most of the time so I hope I can manage the manual focus but since I don't have much experience I don't know how hard will it be.
5.The touchscreen and tilting screen is really good and it could help me get some difficult video shots or even normal shots (since there is also a crop sensor);
6.Working features related to photography. I don't think this will be a problem though.

Now I have these two questions to ask and hopefully I will get a good idea on how I should act:

A. What ASP-C DSLRs are the best for filming raw footage that is the closest to the cinematic feel, along with a decent resolution of 720p with 24p continous shooting? Make a really short top list if you can, please.
B. Could you please give me an opinion on which from these 3 marketplace deals should I focus? For the moment, my budget is fixed (I am from Europe and in my country we have a different currency and market). I don't know how both the budget and marketplace will change in the next 2-3 weeks so if I don't choose anything from here I will make a selection based on the answer to the first question. I can use the rest of my remaining budget for other things as soon as possible, if not I have to wait a little more.
I found these on the most popular online marketplace from my country:

1.Canon 650D (22k shutter count) with: 18-55 IS STM lens, grip, 3 battery and a 32Gb SD card at 310$
2.Canon 650D  (11k shutter count) with: 18-55 III lens, grip, 1 extra battery and a 8Gb SD card at 340$
3.Canon 700D (1k shutter count) with: 18-55 IS STM lens and warranty until july 2018 at 390$

My budget:390$, only for now hopefully. I will still have to get a grip, tripod, extra batteries, a fast card, a mic and other things where needed but I will have to wait a little. I also have a friend who can borrow me a 18-55 IS kit lens when he doesn't need it.

Sorry if it's the wrong section or if I wrote too much. This is a somewhat important topic for me since I want to get a career later related to this field and money here are a too big deal unfortunately so I have to choose very wisely, at least for now.

Walter Schulz

Price list for used Canon gear (Germany): http://www.fotoversicherung.com/fotoversicherung/gebrauchtpreisliste-canon/

3. is overpriced (according to this list, of course).
2. 18-55 III is not that well suited for filming. Manual focusing is awkward.

700D and 650D will do 720p24 in RAW/MLV mode. Even higher resolution if used with (lossless) compression available in experimental builds for both cams.

Cards worth (and useability) is not that easy to tell. See http://cameramemoryspeed.com for cards able to do (at least) 45 MByte/s in UHS-I write mode.

"Outdated" manual lenses with non-EF mount are often used for video recording. If buying an adapter for EF: Focus confirm chip compatible with 700D/650D recommended.

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds like a decent used 7D body would be your best bet @blatzkrov!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B002NEGTTW/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

and definitely not worth wasting $ on these slow kit lenses. Your camera can only be as good as what the glass is worth!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

andy kh

I think option 1 is the best for u if u need flip out screen . I have used 550D, 650D and now 70D. If u shoot raw with 650D you wil get some annoying pink dots which is removable in post

When it comes to memory card i wil highly recomend you to buy sandisk cards. I have few cards from sandish and sony. Sony cards dont perform well while shooting raw. I bought two 32gb 90mb/s sony cards n three 16gb sandisk 45 mb/s cards few yrs back. And to my experience those sandisk cards perfoms much better while recording raw. Recently bought myself a sandisk 64gb extreme pro. All i can say is wow. It works so gud for recording raw. I even record higher than 720p. Its not continous but i can record for few mins which is not possible with other cards. Other cards can do only for few seconds so go for sandisk extreme pro if you can afford one
5D Mark III - 70D

dreamplayhouse

Quote from: andy kh on August 15, 2017, 08:46:34 AM
I think option 1 is the best for u if u need flip out screen . I have used 550D, 650D and now 70D. If u shoot raw with 650D you wil get some annoying pink dots which is removable in post

When it comes to memory card i wil highly recomend you to buy sandisk cards. I have few cards from sandish and sony. Sony cards dont perform well while shooting raw. I bought two 32gb 90mb/s sony cards n three 16gb sandisk 45 mb/s cards few yrs back. And to my experience those sandisk cards perfoms much better while recording raw. Recently bought myself a sandisk 64gb extreme pro. All i can say is wow. It works so gud for recording raw. I even record higher than 720p. Its not continous but i can record for few mins which is not possible with other cards. Other cards can do only for few seconds so go for sandisk extreme pro if you can afford one

I have an 100D/SL1 and can't figure out how to remove the pink dots! How do you remove them?

blatzkrov

Thanks for all of your responses. I will still think about every posibility.