Timelapse - Displacement of pictures with interval function

Started by stefan.binder, August 01, 2017, 10:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefan.binder

Hey,

I have a problem with my timelapse in the last time.
I shoot them and then I always have some displacements in the middle. Like 1-5 pictures are moved down - and always with the same distance.
In the beginning I thought that I moved the tripod, but I'm 100% sure that I haven't moved it a millimeter (really sure).

And its always the same. What make me sure that its a camera/magic lantern problem is, that it switchs back to the original position.

Any ideas what I can google or even what the problem is?! Am I right here? Other forums maybe better for that problems?

About my setup:
- EOS 60D with ML
- Intervalometer set to 4 sec, 400 pictures, on tripod

Enclosed in a picture you can see the difference/displacement (left normal, middle to the bottom, right normal)

Here 4 RAW's as detailed example if someone wants to take a detail look. First and last are normal, and 6995 and 6996 are displaced.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tuhbo2t62bi63i7/AACrWg8Do0S2_v0u9W5hoWvla?dl=0

Now I have to look through all the pictures, and the occurence of it is quite often.
Within 500 pictures are 13 problems (1-3 pictures with the EXACT same displacement)
(no idea whether this helps: its every 10-70 normal pictures in between that displacements... once more (max: 70) once less (min: 10) )

Makes sense? :(

Big thanks in advance!

Stefan

Walter Schulz

Lens with integrated stabilizer (IS, OS, VC, ...) involved?

glubber

I would guess, the displacement is due to the lens stabilizer being on and reacting to vibrations on tripoid. Or the stabilizer is out of order, but the fault is only visible on tripoid. Your problem is only visible during timelapses (typically done on tripod), because handheld it would be impossible to notice.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

stefan.binder

Thanks for your answers.
Yes it just happens on the tripod.

And yes the image stabilizer is On.

I'll try it today without! Thanks for the tip, I hope it will resolve it.

Walter Schulz

Some stabilizers will show this behaviour no matter what the switch says.
To identify lenses prone to that problem turn AF off, press your ear to lens barrel and toggle stabilizer switch. If you hear your lens hummung with switch in off position you might want to use this lens uncoupled/twisted.

stefan.binder

Yes it was the image stabilizer on the objective.
Thanks a lot for that tip! Somehow I have ignored that one point in the tuts ...

But I analysed a bit, and its happening more in the end of a shoot (after 500 pics) OR if its getting hot for the camera.
And I already made a lot of thousands pictures without any occurrence.

Solved :) thanks a million!

kiron123

Quote from: glubber on August 02, 2017, 06:12:47 PM
I would guess, the displacement is due to the lens stabilizer being on and reacting to vibrations on tripoid. Or the stabilizer is out of order, but the fault is only visible on tripoid. Your problem is only visible during timelapses (typically done on tripod), because handheld it would be impossible to notice.

This was also my problem before. Thanks for the tip