Canon 7D Raw Video 30 fps External Monitor Issues

Started by PaulHarwood856, August 06, 2017, 05:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to shoot skateboarding videos with my Canon 7D and Vivitar 7mm f3.5 fisheye, and would like to use raw video at 30 fps. The issue is I need to use an external monitor to see what I am filming since the camera will be low to the ground (there is no flip out screen). When I review the test recordings, my camera glitches/tears when using an external monitor. I've researched on the forum and have tried numerous things, but haven't been able to solve this issue. I haven't had this issue with 23.976 fps in the past, but would like to use 30 fps with a high shutter to slow down the skateboarding action/tricks. I plan on using Twixtor to really slow down the tricks. I would use 48 fps at 2:1, but there is a lot more aliasing and moire, and the VAF-7D Anti Aliasing and Moire Filter doesn't work with this lens (won't focus) because of the flange distance and how wide the lens is. The aliasing and moire is totally reduced in that setting anyway since it's more designed for 1080p. I'm guessing the 5D Mark III doesn't have this issue, and I plan on purchasing one when I can. But in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any settings you use which solve this problem? I've read about Edmac being a solution, and don't quite understand it. I installed the August 1st build, which has Edmac in the changelog, but I haven't had any success. By the way I'm using a 7 inch MustHD Monitor, the M701H. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- Paul

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

After some more trial and error, as well as research online, I think I've found the solution. One of Reddeercity.tv's videos, he mentioned exact fps when using frames per second override. So I tested 30fps with exact fps and didn't get tearing, but still got a lag. So I tried exact fps at 29.97, which H.264 records to, and there is no tearing or lagging! Also, I have Force HDMI-VGA turned on. I have the focus button illuminated on my MustHD Monitor, as well as the HDMI button, and I also have the Camera button illuminated. What this means is even though Magic Lantern is forcing VGA over HDMI, the monitor is scaling this so the entire image is shown on the monitor. I don't mind the loss in resolution since I'm shooting at 7mm and everything is mostly in focus. This is mainly for seeing what I'm filming since there is no flip out screen on the 7D. This is such a relief! I will be doing more testing, since I really want to shoot raw video at 30 fps, and I want to make sure I have all the right settings. So I will report back what I find out, as well as the results when I get some footage. Below are the exact settings I used to figure out how to have no lag or tearing in case you have a 7D and are running into issues:

On Canon 7D with Magic Lantern Nightly August 1st, 2017:

Audio
Analog Gain: 32dB
Input Source: Internal mic (I will be using external stereo with a Zoom H6 and XY Capsule)
MLV Sound: On

Expo
White Balance: 3200K
ISO 12800 (it's not too bright in my room at night)
Shutter 1/62.50, 173 Degree Shutter Angle (I will be using a higher shutter, probably around 1/500 for freezing action)
Aperture: N/A - using Vivitar 7mm f3.5 - all manual lens - not electronics
Picture Style: Visiontech
Exposure Lock: OFF
Exposure Presets: OFF
Exposure Override: ON
ExpSim: Movie

Overlay
Global Draw: ON, all modes
Zebras: LumaFast, over 99%
Focus Peak: OFF
Magic Zoom: OFF
Cropmarks: CINESCO2.BMP
Ghost Image: OFF
Spotmeter: Percent, AFbox
False color: OFF
Histogram: RAW RGB, Log
Waveform: Small
Vectorscope: OFF
Level Indicator: OFF

Bit Rate (CBR): not enabled, but set at 1.0x (default)
REC key: OFF
FPS override: 29.970
RAW video (MLV): ON 1728 x 786 (2.20:1 Aspect Ratio)

More info on RAW video:

Create Directory: OFF
Global Draw: Allow
Frame Skipping: OFF
Preview Options: Canon
Status When Recording: Icon
Start Delay: OFF
Digital Dolly: OFF
Card Warm-up: OFF
Use SRM Job Memory: ON
Extra Hacks: ON
Debug Trace: OFF
Show Buffer Graph: OFF
Buffer Fill Method: 4
Reserve Card Space: ON
Tag: Text - none
Tag: Take - OFF

Movie Tweaks
Time Indicator: Remain.4GB
Movie Logging: OFF
Movie Restart: OFF
REC/STBY notify: OFF
Force LiveView: Start & CPUlens

Shoot
All Disabled

Focus

Display
Advanced Settings:
Screen Layout: 16:10 HDMI, t/b
Color Scheme: Default
UpsideDown mode: OFF
LV crazy colors: OFF
Force HDMI-VGA: ON

Prefs

Modules Enabled:
mlv_play
mlv_rec
mlv_snd

Debug

Help

Modified
Analog Gain: 32dB
Input source: Internal mic
Mic Power: OFF
MLV Sound: ON
Expo. Override: ON
Cropmarks: CINESCO2.BMP
FPS Override: 29.970
Desired FPS: 29.970 (FROM 30)
Optimize for: Exact FPS
RAW video (MLV): ON, 1728 x 786
Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1

I use the INFO button on the 7D to switch from Canon to Magic Lantern preview

In the Canon MENU:
Peripheral illumin. correct: DISABLE
Auto Lighting Optimizer: DISABLE
AF mode: Live mode
Movie rec. size: 1920x1080 30 fps
Sound recording: Auto
Auto power off: Off
Video System: NTSC

I hope this helps anyone having the same issues. Please comment below if you have any recommendations, comments, or questions. Thanks.

- Paul

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I forgot to mention one thing with the successful 29.97 raw video recording with a monitor:

I plugged my monitor into my 7D. I turned my monitor on first, let everything load. Then I turned the 7D on. Not sure if this also takes into account, but I figured I would mention it.

- Paul