[SOLVED] [WORKAROUND] Uninstalling ML on 5D2: stuck in “Loading…“ screen

Started by illwieckz, August 02, 2017, 04:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illwieckz

Hi, I'm trying to uninstall Magic Lantern on a 5D2 Body, when I follow the instruction, and ask for firmware update, the "Loading..." screen shows up but it never disappear and the camera never reboots.

I watched some videos like this one and on every video I watch, the "Loading..." screen only displays itself for some seconds then the camera reboots to some disablement menu I never get in. On my end this is never happening, what's happening there?

Edit: I tried with different CF card, different battery (all being Canon genuine), and also some different ML versions (one from 2017, one from 2016, one from 2015) hoping it was a bug introduced in recent versions. I still can't uninstall ML.

illwieckz

OK. I found a workaround. If someone gets the same problem as me. this is how I managed to uninstall Magic Lantern:

My workaround is to redo the installation process from the beginning as if ML was never there, and when it saids it's already there and ask to shutdown the camera to keep ML or to wait to remove ML, just wait, it works.

• Format a CF card on a PC using a standard formatting (no ML flagged filesystem).
  • Copy ML files (ML-SETUP.FIR, autoexec.bin, ML directory...).
  • Put the card on camera, set on the camera.
  • Go to firmware update, and ask to update the firmware, Magic Lantern will install itself, as if it was never there.
  • The camera reboots itself and Magic Lantern said the boot flag was already enabled and Magic Lantern is saying you can shutdown the camera if you want to keep Magic Lantern, of course, do not shutdown the camera. On the bottom of the screen, Magic Lantern is telling you to wait some second to disable boot flag. So do not shutdown the camera, just waits the countdown going to zero.
  • The camera reboots itself and disable the boot flag.
  • You can shutdown the camera, Magic Lantern is uninstalled.

illwieckz

This issue makes me fear a lot for my camera by the way, to unstuck my camera (to be able to try the workaround) I had to remove the battery while the camera was telling me being in firmware update process...  ??? Hopefully it didn't bricked the camera!

a1ex

In other words, to quote the official (un)install guide:

With a Magic Lantern card, launch the Firmware Update process and follow the instructions on-screen.

Would be interesting to find out why the firmware update process got stuck. That's probably doable in QEMU if you still have the bad firmware on one of the cards - I can guide you if you want to try this route.

illwieckz

I still have the firmware, in fact I tried the 3 firmwares I had (every time I download an update, I keep the previous one, so I had one per year and I tried all of them and no one worked). I can do some tests on QEMU, but I will not be able to test it for real on the camera, I just sold it. :P