Taking More than 9 Bracketed Exposures

Started by Alevinso, July 28, 2017, 11:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alevinso

Hi there!  I've got Magic Lantern on a 5D mk III.  I'd love alter the config files so that I can take more than 9 bracketed exposures for HDR images (probably 15 or so).

Unfortunately I'm new to this, and haven't the faintest idea where to start.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance for your help!

russellsnr

Why would you want to take 15 images for an HDR image? 5 Images 1 stop apart should cover most situations or let M/L decide how many are needed for a scene.

Alevinso

That's an excellent question! It's a specific workflow for VFX production.  Typically we use a Promote Control to do a full range from 1/8000 to 2 seconds, 1 stop apart.  We combine that with a motorized head to capture a full 360° x 180°.   This creates a standardized output for the lighting artists which can remain exactly the same from shot to shot and thereby streamline production.  This is particularly important in TV Production where timelines are tight.

In any case, I need to do 15 exposures, and could streamline our hardware if I could do it in-camera instead of relying on a separate device just to change the exposures.