Recommendations on lens purchase, canon FF

Started by D_Odell, July 23, 2017, 12:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Odell

I'm looking for a lens that is either zoom or prime, but has AF and is as much cinematic as possible, good flares if so or so so. Price range is 800$ used.

Any recommendations? I mostly use 50mm. I'm asking since I only shoot with manual lenses I don't know anything about Canon EF optics. Recommendations much appreciated!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Kharak

Do you have FD lenses for your 5D MK III ? How does that work? Cause I am so interested in the FD ones, but from what I understood they are not compatible with the mirror of the 5DIII, true ? and FD lenses are so crazy cheap.

Also from pictures I've seen, they have a more "Cinematic" look than the new EF mounts. But only judging from pictures and some few videos I've seen, I just liked the look of them. Though... Some of those pics might have been taken with Film, so that automatically adds to that Cinematic look we all crave.

Personally I have become so tired by the clinical clean look of my Canons, the blue color cast aswell (still beats samyang yellow) and anti-flare coatings.. So I'm basically only looking at Vintage lenses these days, especially combined with the Full Frame look, I find vintage lenses to make magic happened in that comparison. No weather sealing though on those vintage ones, which forces me to pull out my canons for certain situations. An all-rounder is the 24-70 L 2.8 (first gen), its crazy sharp and covers most shooting scenarios. But probably more expensive than 800$ unless its in a shabby condition. And all the L lenses are pretty hard to make flare unless you pop a ND on without Lens Hood.
once you go raw you never go back

D_Odell

Quote from: Kharak on July 23, 2017, 05:56:22 PM
Do you have FD lenses for your 5D MK III ? How does that work? Cause I am so interested in the FD ones, but from what I understood they are not compatible with the mirror of the 5DIII, true ? and FD lenses are so crazy cheap.

Also from pictures I've seen, they have a more "Cinematic" look than the new EF mounts. But only judging from pictures and some few videos I've seen, I just liked the look of them. Though... Some of those pics might have been taken with Film, so that automatically adds to that Cinematic look we all crave.

Personally I have become so tired by the clinical clean look of my Canons, the blue color cast aswell (still beats samyang yellow) and anti-flare coatings.. So I'm basically only looking at Vintage lenses these days, especially combined with the Full Frame look, I find vintage lenses to make magic happened in that comparison. No weather sealing though on those vintage ones, which forces me to pull out my canons for certain situations. An all-rounder is the 24-70 L 2.8 (first gen), its crazy sharp and covers most shooting scenarios. But probably more expensive than 800$ unless its in a shabby condition. And all the L lenses are pretty hard to make flare unless you pop a ND on without Lens Hood.
The FD L's are a great peace of set. The mirror conflicts are only on few glasses. 50L and 85L does hit the mirror only when converted to EF mount I belive, but this has to do with infinity focus, but its a small problem for me since I only shoot live view and dont use the mirror for photos. I gladly power on and then let the mirror pop up and then puts on the glasses.

If you like tele lenses the 135 F2 is fantastic. It's also not a L lens, which isn't a problem.
The 24L F1.4 is a tremendous work horse for me. The 50 L is somewhat problematic sometimes but is a L lens, which I think is over priced.

I have 20mm 2.8, 24L, 50L 50 macro, 85L, 135 F2 (all converted to EF). So feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the AF tip! Is there a good normal lens which isn't to clinical?
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie