Canon EOS M fujian 35mm lens Magic Lantern (video)

Started by awoodbeatz, July 16, 2017, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awoodbeatz

Here is a music video i shot last week. this is my 1st time filming anything. i used a Canon eos m with 35mm fujian lens. i used a cheap stabilizer....i used magic lantern. i have ZERO camera experience and this is my 1st time ever using a camera other than my phone. i also edited and color graded the video. i used premiere pro...before i bought the camera i did research on finding a cheap camera with good video quality. i heard Canon eos m was the way to go with Magic Lantern. i bought my camera from china for a nice price  without a lens and i also purchased a cctv lens..i learned all the setting for filming through the internet. so after a few weeks of studying the setting i decided to film a video..im no professional. this is my 1st time ever filming and editing. let me know what you think!!

camera settings:
Magic Lantern
bit rate: 2.5x
Technicolor CineStyle Profile
shot in 1080p 24fps

post editing:

color grade
added sharpening
added damaged film overlay
added 35mm film grain

dfort

Very impressive for a first video.

One small note -- when you added the 2.35 matte it cut off the tops of heads, sometimes all of the head. You might consider vertically re-positioning a few shots.

I also have that camera/lens/picture style combination. It is a great setup to get back to the basics.

So what Magic Lantern features did you use? Changed the bit rate? Did you turn on focus peaking?

Nice work!

awoodbeatz

Quote from: dfort on July 18, 2017, 08:45:53 PM
Very impressive for a first video.

One small note -- when you added the 2.35 matte it cut off the tops of heads, sometimes all of the head. You might consider vertically re-positioning a few shots.

I also have that camera/lens/picture style combination. It is a great setup to get back to the basics.

So what Magic Lantern features did you use? Changed the bit rate? Did you turn on focus peaking?

Nice work!

thanks. yes all ml features i used is

focus peaking---the person i had filming me was kind of moving and didn't know how to focus. i set the focus point and gave him the camera but he was moving.

bit rate--- up to 2.5x
image fine-tuning  ml digital iso -0.3 ev

as far as 2:35 chopping i realized it was covering up my face. i actually have an external reverse monitor but i didn't use it. my next shot i will use it and put the chop lines on external monitor with tape.

i filmed a hiphop dancer a few days ago and i will post on here once I'm done with editing. the canon eos m is a good camera for price. as far as the 35mm cctv lens, for some reason when i close the aperture all the way, spots appear on the video...like the lens is dirty but once i open aperture up a little it doesn't show..if you look at the beginning of video you will see the spots...thats the reason i added the damaged film look in post

dfort

Quote from: awoodbeatz on July 21, 2017, 12:49:21 AM
...as far as the 35mm cctv lens, for some reason when i close the aperture all the way, spots appear on the video...

That lens Fujian lens is best when used as wide open as possible. Stopping it down will mess up the bokeh and show any lens imperfection. It is even easier to focus with peaking turned on when it is wide open. Check out the Flickr group on that lens.