RAW Workflow Premier Output Issue

Started by montybaxter, July 09, 2017, 12:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montybaxter

Hello people.

I want to first thank the ML dev team. Wow, you've changed my approach to filmmaking. I'm relatively new to the game and was excited by shooting in RAW. Like any newbie, it's taken me some time to get my head round the workflow but I'm very happy with where I've got to, especially considering I'm working with a Macbook Air  :o

Thanks also to all the contributors on this forum. Without you guys, I probably would have given up a long time ago.

Okay, oscar speech over....

So, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my output issue, which in a nutshell is - the output file size from Premiere is tiny compared to file sizes that it's working with in the project.

Here's my editing workflow...

- Convert RAW files in RAWMagic [5D mark iii > CinemaDNG > 16bit] should I use 16 or 12?
- Jump into Davinci Resolve, quick pre-edit colour correction and applicaiton of LUT
- Export from Davinci in ProRes 422 HQ format
- Edit and Grade in Premier (I don't jump back in to Davinci as the old macbook air can't handle that workflow and there's timecode issues when exporting the XML but that's okay, I'm happy to edit and grade in Premier)
- Export final media from Premier

The issue can be simplified, if I take a 570MB ProRes 422 HQ file and drop it on the timeline. If I choose to export this file staright away H.264 Vimeo 1080p HD then the estimated file size is 19MB.

I guess some other information I can give is that I'm working with a combination of 24fps and 60fps and set my project settings to 24fps. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.