latest advice re: decimal second intervalometer options?

Started by skrk, June 30, 2017, 04:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrk

I did some searching re: decimal seconds with the intervalometer, and found some threads, but they are mostly ~4 years old, and I'm wondering what the latest information on this subject is.

My understanding is that the available clock is only a 1-second resolution, so the intervalometer can't be more precise than that; is that still the case?

My understanding is that there are script-based (or custom code-based) ways around this issue, but that they won't be time-accurate; is that still the case?

The main concerns for me are the typical: the difference between e.g. 1s and 2s is a huge halving of the rate of motion, and post-processing the resulting speed is obviously not a good option. It's also nice to be able to precisely time the resulting length of the time lapse when you know how long you will be filming (e.g. this event will take 20 minutes and I want the time lapse to be 30 seconds long at 30fps, so I want  1.33s per image.) It's also nice to get the max frame rate from the camera (my 100D can't do 1s, but can do 2s, so it'd be nice to try 1.5.)

I have done some raw video recording, and am aware of the FPS override, but AFAIK I can't shoot anywhere close to 4K in that mode (on my 100D). That method also means I can't post-process the RAW files in Canon DPP (which means no lens optimizations for me). It also limits the time I can record on a given card due to file size (when compared to shooting JPG).

Any hope? Maybe this has been figured out and I'm just not aware of the fix/script/etc?

Thanks for any ideas!
100D -- ML v1.0.1

a1ex

The available clock is nowadays in microsecond resolution; it's just the intervalometer code not updated to use it.

Lua API has a clock with millisecond resolution.

As the last time I've shot a timelapse was one year ago, and still didn't manage to develop the footage, you can imagine the priority I've assigned to this task (so, feel free to look into it).

P.S. The 5D3 now has full-resolution LiveView; when coupled with FPS override, it's probably one of the best choices for timelapse (I didn't manage to try this one in practice either). See this 700D attempt for hints on how to port it.

skrk

Thank you for the response -- if I wrote a LUA script to do time lapses, would the clock LUA uses be basically trustworthy?
100D -- ML v1.0.1