Dual ISO (am I doing it right?)

Started by kore, June 22, 2017, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kore

Hi Guys. Before it all, thanks to the ML team for bringing us this.

Question: I'be been doing dual ISO tests and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Is this the correct method?

1) f/6.3 1/200s ISO-100 exposes good the highlights (exterior) and ISO-1600 exposes good the shadows (living room).
2) So I take a dual ISO shot 100-1600.
3) Take that CR2 to cr2hdr.exe
4) Open the DNG result and push up the shadows

The image obtained is the following:

Here is the thing: If I do what I use to do (without hearing about dual ISO) is take a halfway exposure between the exterior and the living room, so ISO-640. Then just open that CR2, push up the shadows, and push down a bit the highlights. This is the result:

The only consistent difference I can notice is the worse highlights recovery (look at some elements outside).

As you can see, there is not a huge difference between both pictures so I wonder If I'm doing something wrong.
Tank you.

a1ex

Try to find a subject that requires even more shadow pushing (something that has a lot of noise at ISO 100, but looks fine at 1600).

Otherwise, if the clipped highlights are not very important, it's probably better to use a single ISO.

kore

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2017, 06:15:29 PM
Try to find a subject that requires even more shadow pushing (something that has a lot of noise at ISO 100, but looks fine at 1600).

Otherwise, if the clipped highlights are not very important, it's probably better to use a single ISO.

Thanx Alex, you're always there. Just needed to make sure I wasn't doing it completely wrong. I'll keep testing it in real scenarios.

Thanks!

jpegmasterjesse

And you want to consider how aggressive your ISO range is.  One fantastic tool is the Expose to the Right module (Ettr).  When I enter a new setting I try that to see if my guess about how dynamic the scene is is correct.  Often ISO 100 will satisfactorily cover it!  In scenes where it can't - Dual ISO is a lifesaver.

One of my go-to settings is -1 EV on Av with the recovery ISO set to +2.  In most situations this produces perfect highlights and great midtones.