Author Topic: Newbie Here wantingg to help on 800d  (Read 1126 times)

feedrail

• Just arrived
Newbie Here wantingg to help on 800d
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
Ive used ML on my t2i for years and loved it, now I want to do my part and bring ML to my t7i. Point me in the right direction and a few do's and don't s and I'll do whatever I can. I had some coding years ago vb+, c++, java. I don't know it that will be any use but I'm willing and want to try.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
Re: Newbie Here wantingg to help on 800d
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
A few days ago I've tried to find the LED address on a 77D (also digic 7), on IRC, without success. If you want to try the same steps, just get in touch with me.

The good news is that we can run code on the camera. The next step would be to produce some sort of side effects (such as LED blinks, or even variations in power consumption, that can be noticed with a multimeter).

What we know about D7 can be found on the EOS M5 thread, but that model runs PowerShot firmware. It's very likely a dual-core Cortex A9, with MMU, and runs Thumb-2 code (therefore, we might have some luck matching code patterns from some D6 models).

Caching issues (not yet solved on D6) are probably similar (that is, once it's solved for one model, it will very likely apply to all others).

GabrielJLozano

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »
So I tried looking all over the forums and the only information I could find about anyone even remotely talking about working on the t7i is this thread. Is anyone trying to port it at all? I'd love to help as well so long as someone points me in the right direction.

Walter Schulz

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Read the post above yours.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
Some of the easier things you can do to help, in order of increasing difficulty:

- wait for a firmware update
- open your camera and take high-resolution pictures of the mainboard
- hook a multimeter / Arduino / oscilloscope / whatever to an external power supply (see above)
- find some UART or JTAG port and attempt to communicate with it
- read the Cortex A9 manuals and the PowerShot ROM dumps (CHDK forum), then suggest things to try running on the camera, in order to get any kind of side effects (LED blinks, display activity, writing to SD, variations in power draw)

If you want to run your own code on the camera, I recommend starting from either recovery or digic6-dumper branches. However, you'll need to sign the code, and the tools for doing that are not public, but I can help with that - just drop me a PM.

Good luck!