Pink Highlights on video

Started by Bambix, June 12, 2017, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambix

Hello there.

I've been using ML for a few months now, and I have to admit that I only use a few features this awesome tool offers.
I've particularly been shooting timelapses with my 6D.
So far everything went perfect, but last week, after shooting another timelapse in the garden, I realised all overexposed regions of the frames were pink.... (see screenhsot)

I must say I didn't really care about it at first, thinking it was just an overlay, but it is captures within the video file.

Can I remove it ? If not, how can I avoid it in the future....

Thanks for reading :)

a1ex

Upload an unprocessed frame (be it CR2, DNG, single-frame MLV or H.264 frame, depending on what file format you have used).

Bambix

I forgot to mention that I used the FPS override option of ML, so the direct output is a .mov video file.
So I can't give you just a frame...

a1ex

ffmpeg -i foo.mov -ss 00:05 frame.jpg
ffmpeg -i input.mov -ss 00:02 -to 00:03 -c:v copy -c:a copy one_second.mov

Besides FPS override, have you used other settings, such as strong negative digital ISO?

You can fix the image by mimicking the highlight recovery operation done by most raw processors (which is more of an art than science). Desaturating highlights is one way. In any case, these are overexposed channels, so the only solution is some sort of guesswork (based on the channels that are not clipped).

bpv5P

Probably negative ISO, I would say. Values less than 60 ISO gets pink highlights. I would suggest a ND filter... if you need more dynamic range, try MLV recording with dual_iso.