C200 RAW 4K internal

Started by D_Odell, May 31, 2017, 07:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D_Odell

5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

reddeercity

I find this very interesting
Canon Cinema RAW Light

QuoteThe C200 also introduces a new recording format: Canon Cinema RAW Light. Canon claim it will offer the "same flexibility in colour grading as Cinema RAW in a smaller file size." Using it will make the most of the sensor's dynamic range (a claimed 15 stops) but will be recordable internally. Using this mode means writing to a CFast 2.0 card and will allow 10bit (60fps) or 12bit (30fps) 4K DCI recording at a data rate of 1Gbps. Canon say that from their testing they've been getting around 15 minutes of record time from a 128GB CFast 2.0 card. You can also record 2K proxies to the internal SD card slots at the same time.
Having the ability to record RAW (even if it is light version) internally without having to go to an external recorder is impressive for a camera at this price point. This is also going to be welcome news for those shooters who want to use the C200 on a gimbal or keep their camera size to a minimum.
QuoteAt launch the only confirmed NLE to definitely support Canon Cinema RAW Light natively will be Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve .......... Apple have committed to supporting the codec 'In a future version' of FCP X.

Finally native canon raw in fcpx that's the best news  :)

Edit:
Quote4K Cinema RAW Light 1Gbps VBR
must be 50 or 60fps I think
QuoteHDMI YES, HDMI 2.0, output only. Max. output resolution 3840 x 2160.Timecode out compatible
QuoteGAMMA: Canon Log 3/Canon Log/Wide DR
QuoteCOLOUR MATRIX: Neutral/Production Camera/Cinema EOS/Original /Video/ Off
:o

D_Odell

Quote from: reddeercity on May 31, 2017, 08:17:09 AMFinally native canon raw in fcpx that's the best news  :)
Yepp! But FCPX is non standard so an update to PPro and other would be great.

Levas

Canon is reading these forums and get's their inspiration from here  ;D

Raw cinema light....sounds like magic lantern compressed raw.
10 bit and 12 bit recording options, nice multiple bit options, where's the 14 bit option Canon  :P

Must say the word affordable is subjective  :-\

goldenchild9to5

WOW.. Magic Lantern inspired all the way, but it's a great chess move by Canon.  5D3 3K - 4K I think will be on par with the C200 4K so I'm good to go :)

dfort

Quote4K DCI recording at a data rate of 1Gbps. Canon say that from their testing they've been getting around 15 minutes of record time from a 128GB CFast 2.0 card.

1Gbps (gigabits per second) = 125MBps (megabytes per second)

15 minutes x 60 sec x 125MBps = 112.5GB

Ok--they aren't exaggerating.

Kharak

so the speed is basically CF+SD spanning on 5D3. 120 MB/s

Now we just need that Raw Light on our cams ;)
once you go raw you never go back

dfort

The C200 records raw only on CFast 2.0 cards which are much faster than CF+SD (spanning or not) on a 5D3.

Kharak

It was a joke. But still only requiring 125 MB per Second for that 4k RAW, that is some two-outs and two-ins ;)

hjfilmspeed

Looks like it might do proxy too. Very nice camera. But it's a fairly heavy price tag even on body only but I feel like I would invest in this VS BMC I think.

ShootMeAlready

I think the BMD ursa mini 4k, at $3000 (with a global shutter), and the 4.6k at $5000 (body only) also played a part in getting Canon to move.
They also do 4k raw light (12 bit raw), but it seems to me that they both are potentially better value than the C200 4k light raw.
However I am going by spec sheets, as have used neither BMD.  Sony of course is having great success with their log formats shooting 4k, so it seems between ML 10bit 4k raw, BMD ursa mini 4/4.6k 12 bit raw, and Sony we can expect even more affordable 4k raw from Canon.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

D_Odell

Can't help but also feel exited about Panasonics EVA1 cam. The internal (without knowing anything about the sensor seems really exiting. Also with the ability to shoot RAW (if you must) in 5.7K, post update (probably expensive?)) is really cool. Also the ability to have old lenses and get better reading to the sensor with there axis stabilization. Cool. https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-au-eva1-unveiled-compact-rich-in-features-and-under-8000/

reddeercity

Found a link to some Pre Production C200 Raw CRM Sample files here I think the new Resolve "14" can read them , i haven't tried yet I think there are UHD 3840x2160, alone with the CRM raw files there are some sample UHD H264 MP4 . If you follow the youtube link it goes to a dropbox , Here is the direct link to the C200 CRM + the UHD H264 Mp4 files , don't wait to long before there are gone . The mp4 are in log but look very good , enjoy  :D

dfort

Philip Bloom review -- after a two year break from doing camera reviews he checks out the C200

nikki

Quote from: reddeercity on July 11, 2017, 07:45:49 AM
Found a link to some Pre Production C200 Raw CRM Sample files here I think the new Resolve "14" can read them , i haven't tried yet I think there are UHD 3840x2160, alone with the CRM raw files there are some sample UHD H264 MP4 . If you follow the youtube link it goes to a dropbox , Here is the direct link to the C200 CRM + the UHD H264 Mp4 files , don't wait to long before there are gone . The mp4 are in log but look very good , enjoy  :D

is the UHD H264 MP4 on the c200 the same as on the C300

hjfilmspeed

I really don't understand Canon. They don't give their DSLRs RAW goodies or better codecs in fear of taking out there Cine line, right? But they give their cheaper Cine line camera better specs then there more expensive Cine cams.... They make no sense and their product specs are all over the place.

D_Odell

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on July 12, 2017, 05:49:34 PM
I really don't understand Canon. They don't give their DSLRs RAW goodies or better codecs in fear of taking out there Cine line, right? But they give their cheaper Cine line camera better specs then there more expensive Cine cams.... They make no sense and their product specs are all over the place.
Makes perfect sense if they believe the tv productions will continue to shoot on their c cams with prores 4444 options and if commercial what's a cheaper lighter raw can there is one now with canon colour space. If bigger budget why shoot. Canon over preferably Arri or second RED? They make money splitting the product line. Buyers are not so happy off course.

Edit: but as one Canon representative said, they make money on their lenses not so much compared with c cameras.

reddeercity

Quote from: nikki on July 11, 2017, 09:48:40 PM
is the UHD H264 MP4 on the c200 the same as on the C300
No --it's just consumer mp4 , where as c300 uses avchd . See below "Codec ID mp42" although it is in Full range.
There's  talk of AVCHD like the c300 , so who know .
Complete name                            :CanonC200MP41 ProAV.MP4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42
File size                                : 215 MiB
Duration                                 : 12s 0ms
Overall bit rate                         : 150 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-05-24 12:14:56
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-05-24 12:14:56

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 147 Mbps
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.707
Stream size                              : 210 MiB (98%)
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Full
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Other
ID                                       : 6
Type                                     : Time code
Format                                   : QuickTime TC
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:16:20
Time code, striped                       : Yes
Language                                 : English
Bit rate mode                            : CBR

Cybornut

Found this thread searching for Canon C200 Magic Lantern...
Anyhow, I now have a C200 on hand... let's get this started.

D_Odell

Quote from: Cybornut on August 31, 2017, 12:58:54 PM
Found this thread searching for Canon C200 Magic Lantern...
Anyhow, I now have a C200 on hand... let's get this started.
Would really like to know if cinema raw light goes native with Davinci Resolve? I can't have a camera that needs poorly canon software. Thanks for a reply!

kaco

Quote from: D_Odell on September 08, 2017, 10:24:06 PM
Would really like to know if cinema raw light goes native with Davinci Resolve? I can't have a camera that needs poorly canon software. Thanks for a reply!

I had few sample C200 raw files. It works in Davinci 14 beta. The only problem (probably a matter of time) is that it is being interpreted as some log (canon log probably?) and the raw panel is not working. So you have to adjust your exposure and white balance with 3 color wheels. But the data is there (highlights, etc).

D_Odell

Quote from: kaco on September 08, 2017, 10:52:28 PM
I had few sample C200 raw files. It works in Davinci 14 beta. The only problem (probably a matter of time) is that it is being interpreted as some log (canon log probably?) and the raw panel is not working. So you have to adjust your exposure and white balance with 3 color wheels. But the data is there (highlights, etc).
Once you have tried, if you do ;), full 14 release please say if Raw is there?

D_Odell

Just tried it out, and I must say it's bigger than I imagined. The size equals to a c300 minus some top hight. Was hoping for a more compact solution for my Steadicam work. Other than that it was quite light in feeling. Unfortunately they had no Cfast available so no test footage...

Kharak

C200 weighs less than the 1DxII bare boned.

But with all the accessories applied, EVF, follow focus, Ext. batteries etc. i guess you easily end up on 5 kg probably more + lens. Depends on your needs.