Advanced ISO questions

Started by jubjub64, August 09, 2012, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubjub64

I'm excited to start using the advanced iso controls to improve the shadow and highlight quality of my videos on my 550D.  But I'm not sure what settings I need to adjust to get this result.  I was hoping someone could help me understand the ISO controls.  I'll try to explain my current understanding of the controls.

Equivalent ISO - Shows the result of multiplying the canon ISO with the digital ISO multiplier
Canon analog ISO - Shows the default canon ISO
Canon digital ISO - Canon's ISO multiplier
ML digital ISO - ML's ISO multiplier
Highlight Tone P. - I'm guessing this improves highlights like it does in the normal canon settings?
ISO Selection - I can see that this changes what ISO I can select but I don't understand the significance (any clarification would be appreciated).

So if I understand the description in the release notes the concept is to lower the ISO using the ML digital ISO mulitplier?  If so, how much do I lower it to get the desired effect?  Does this just depend on the situation and scene?  Also, should I have the Highlight Tone P. on all the time to achieve the optimal results?  Thanks for any and all help.

Abraham1990

First select to use the magic lanterns iso in the iso selection than set magic lanterns digital iso to -0.3ev and canons digital iso to 0, now you will get the equivalent iso for example iso 200 will really be iso 160. let me know if you need any more help.

jubjub64

Ok great!  I'll definitely try these settings later today.  So are the improvements apparent at any ISO or only at the lower ones?  Also, will it improve the video further if I use Highlight Tone Priority in combination with this?  Thanks again for your help.

Abraham1990

I did perform a few tests but nothing extensive, and i did see slightly more details in the shadows; as for an iso difference comparing the native canon iso of 160 vs the equivalent iso of 160 from magic lantern i didnt see a difference, and if their was one it was very minor. The highlight tone priority is suggested to be used when you use it with a negative magic lantern iso. I have not done any tests using highlight tone priority but i do know a lot of people either loved it or hated it when they used it without magic lanterns iso.