Previous topic - Next topic

baccinoluigi

I guys i want to share my first 6K 14 bit lossless Raw video test
Hope you enjoy.

Sequence shot with 5dMK III
magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Apr21.5D3113
Global draw on
Preview: Frozen LV
DNG 14 bit lossless images resolution: 5784 x 2624 - 7,5 fps.
Downscaled to 4K
Graded in Davinci resolve 11
Retiming made with Twixtor in After Effects,
Compiled in Premiere pro CC
Canon 24-105 f4 IS

spe42

Pardon, perhaps I am merely ignorant, but what is the purpose of "retiming"?
Did you shoot in slow motion originally? Thanks.
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

Walter Schulz

7.5 fps is the very opposite of slow motion -> Time-lapse, undercranking.
Bandwidth required for 24 fps for given resolution and bit depth would be about tripled cam's limit (calculated with 2:1 compression)

spe42

@walter schultz: Ok. I kind of get what you're saying. What I don't understand then is how does this plugin help? Again, I don't understand most of this, it seems like if it's shot at 7.5 fps, then there would be "information" missing keeping one from making "real time" equivalent footage (for lack of a more accurate way of speaking).

One other thing @baccinoluigi (or whomever, I suppose, so long as someone can explain this to me):
I've noticed in a lot of raw 4k/3k/etc. footage on youtube from ML that a lot of moire persists, yet I don't see that in your footage. Neither is yours the first which I have noticed a relative lack of moire, so I'm wondering if there is an element of your post process that is different, or if you (or in general) different settings on the camera can prevent this. Thanks.

Walter Schulz

spe42

Listen, Walter, I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but you're being rather presumptuous. I am asking about this precisely because I went to that company's website to try and answer my own question first, and when I was unable to figure it out myself, I came here.

But getting back to my question, beyond just moire/noise patterns, I've noticed in most ML footage that I've seen on Youtube that lines on an angle (e.g. telephone lines, wires, etc.) tend to come out very piexelated and inexact. That is to say, they almost fluctuate (maybe this is just moire? I don't know...). But I have seen footage where it's not very drastic at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJNf61BdA0
And, again, in the footage at the start of this thread, I notice no such irregularities. Is this to do with the footage being downscaled, or what?

baccinoluigi

Quote@walter schultz: Ok. I kind of get what you're saying. What I don't understand then is how does this plugin help? Again, I don't understand most of this, it seems like if it's shot at 7.5 fps, then there would be "information" missing keeping one from making "real time" equivalent footage (for lack of a more accurate way of speaking).

One other thing @baccinoluigi (or whomever, I suppose, so long as someone can explain this to me):
I've noticed in a lot of raw 4k/3k/etc. footage on youtube from ML that a lot of moire persists, yet I don't see that in your footage. Neither is yours the first which I have noticed a relative lack of moire, so I'm wondering if there is an element of your post process that is different, or if you (or in general) different settings on the camera can prevent this. Thanks.

If you shot at 7,5 fps and you put the shot on a timeline for every software the minimum you can get it's a timeline at 24 fps so the shot it's about 3 times faster.
So with twixtor you slow down the time at about 33,333% to get right time

spe42

Quote from: baccinoluigi on May 15, 2017, 08:47:08 PM
If you shot at 7,5 fps and you put the shot on a timeline for every software the minimum you can get it's a timeline at 24 fps so the shot it's about 3 times faster.
So with twixtor you slow down the time at about 33,333% to get right time
Well, part of what you're saying makes sense, but I guess I don't fully understand the implications of shooting at 7.5fps. I was under the impression that if one shoots at a lower fps that the camera doesn't capture as much visual information, since it's taking in frames at a lower rate. Granted that it seems I don't understand this, with that assumption, I can't understand how it is possible to make smooth 24fps out of 7.5. Thanks.

Levas

Finally, I was waiting for the first one to use twixtor with full resolution raw video :D
Watched it on my mobile, so small screen, but the motion looks really good, natural. There was only one scene with a fast moving person who was missed by twixtor ;D

Thumbs up for the idea 8) and looks really usefull

dfort

Quote from: spe42 on May 15, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
I can't understand how it is possible to make smooth 24fps out of 7.5.

Basically the software is interpolating the pixels between frames. This is also known as optical flow. It isn't perfect especially with fast moving subjects. Take a closer look at the video and you'll see some motion artifacts. Hint--look at feet. Overall it is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeafEyeJedi

This idea is actually useful for House Realty Marketing. No moving subjects. Just nice slow pace of gimbal work in 7.5p plus twixtor in post should be doable.

Thanks for sharing @baccinoluigi and care to share which setting were applied within the Twixtor plugin in AE?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

baccinoluigi

QuoteThis idea is actually useful for House Realty Marketing. No moving subjects. Just nice slow pace of gimbal work in 7.5p plus twixtor in post should be doable.

Thanks for sharing @baccinoluigi and care to share which setting were applied within the Twixtor plugin in AE?

I used default setting for twixtor
changing time speed in 33,333% and frame interpolation set to : Motion Weighted blend
Gpu rendering: ON