Frame Match 5D3 H264 proxies to MLVs in Davinci Resolve automatically?

Started by erikbaldwinson, May 08, 2017, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikbaldwinson

Davinci Resolve timeline has a sequence of 5D3 H264 proxies that include audio and I'm wondering if there is an easy method for matching up the MLV files with some sort of plugin or resolve function?

Right now I am creating a second layer, bringing down opacity and sliding the mlv over the h264 until the frames match - time consuming.

Thank you,
Erik

a1ex

Would it help to mark the first MLV frame somehow?

An example would be changing the exposure only for that first frame, so it can be recognized easily in H.264. Turning it into a bias frame (by setting its exposure to 0) could also be interesting, and it's easy to implement.

Alternative (requires reverse engineering): save a sidecar file with a ffmpeg command that will cut the H.264 stream to match the raw one.

Danne

Cool idea. Might be possible to detect the bright/dark frame with imagemagick and then cut the H.264 accordingly. Or even just cut audio for speed reasons.

reddeercity

TimeCode , that all you need . Two ways either timecode or free run (time of day).
I Do this in FCPX all the time ,A-Cam , B-Cam , C-Cam , and syncing it should be easier in resolve it's called Multi-cam .
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=50190#p290037

Danne

Timecode will have two different startoff points. CanĀ“t sync those.

erikbaldwinson

Quote from: a1ex on May 08, 2017, 11:03:43 PM
Would it help to mark the first MLV frame somehow?

An example would be changing the exposure only for that first frame, so it can be recognized easily in H.264. Turning it into a bias frame (by setting its exposure to 0) could also be interesting, and it's easy to implement.

Alternative (requires reverse engineering): save a sidecar file with a ffmpeg command that will cut the H.264 stream to match the raw one.

Hey Alex, is there anyway to include an option in magiclantern that syncs the mlv and h264 recording start and stop times perfectly at the cost of a delayed start (ex. recording in 3..2...1...) and delayed stop so that a user could drag and drop all the h264s into a timeline on layer 1 and all the mlvs into the same timeline on layer 2 and it would be synced naturally. Then the user could link the files within resolve for ease of editing?

That's the best I can think of so far. If not, your idea of a white frame would be better than the current situation. I would basically drop all the footage into the timeline and then begin sifting through lining up the white frame of the mlv with the h264 before linking the files. I'm going to try and find some frame matching plugin meanwhile.

What can be done?

pc_bel

QuoteAn example would be changing the exposure only for that first frame, so it can be recognized easily in H.264. Turning it into a bias frame (by setting its exposure to 0) could also be interesting, and it's easy to implement.

For me it would be perfect!!!

Another feature improved!!!

Thanks!!!