Max Riemelt (Sense8) - Interview shot with ML raw

Started by DanHaag, May 05, 2017, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanHaag

I'm using ML raw on commercial shoots more and more often now. This is my (German) interview with actor Max Riemelt from the Netflix series Sense8.
I shot this on the Canon 5D Mark III with the famous Nifty-Fifty attached. No additional lighting, it was a very rushed setup with just about 10 Min.
to get into the room and shoot the interview in a hotel in Berlin. Corrected & graded in DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5 (incl. Neat Video plugin) using MLVFS, edited in FCPX.
I also used the Free Ektar 100 LUT as a starting point for color grading.

Check out my huge collection of ongoing Berlinale interviews in this other topic here!

DanHaag

This second video I made for another channel (CinecastTV) is from the same interview, but it contains different answers so it's a good addition to the main clip I've posted before.

viniciusone

Superb quality such an Alexa sensor!!

Did you only use a 50mm 1.2 for this one? Do you upscale your videos before uploading to Youtube? It is so sharp!

Keep doing this stunning work dude!

DanHaag

Thanks, mate!  8) I actually only used the cheap Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM for this shoot. I didn't upscale or anything, the output was a regular 1080x818 high-bitrate h.264 file for Youtube. Secret to sharpness is using Neat Video OFX plugin with it's superb sharpness option and highest quality settings in the first node before color correction/grading in DaVinci Resolve. In my experience this is upgrading the look of the whole image, not just sharpness and noise reduction. Gives the image a smooth overall flavour finishing touch. Just make sure to deactivate the node while grading (for better performance) and turn it back on right before rendering the video. Not a cheap plugin - especially since I already had the FCPX version before - but it was totally worth buying another one for Resolve. The results are just so much better if you use Neat with sharpness activated on the original CDNG files before further compression.