Audio levels too low?

Started by Fogiven1, April 26, 2017, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fogiven1

Hi everyone,

I'm using ML on my 5DII with a Rode video micro and sometimes a lav mic.    I have cranked the analog gain up as high as it will go in ML and still my audio levels are only about half what they need to be.  No where near peaking.   I can jump them up to 200% in post and still not peak at all. 

Is there some way around this?  Before I installed ML, just using the canon software I had the exact opposite problem I had to turn the db level down to like 2 clicks above off to keep from peaking.

Thanks in advance.

beauchampy

What is it set to in the Canon menu?

Are you +db on your Rode mic?
Silly question but have you checked the battery in the mic?

Fogiven1

Hi beauchampy,

Thanks for chiming in.   Mine is the video micro so there is no battery or adjustments on that mic.   I did try and change the level inside the canon settings, but it has no effect.   

I am able to get a reasonable volume if I boost the digital gain, but for me that's not really any different the bringing it up in post as far as quality.

I'm kind of wandering now if it may be a problem with the mic/camera combo.   I didn't have this mic before magic lantern so IDK if it worked without ML or not and have no other camera to try it with.   

Fogiven1

EDIT:   With magic lantern turned off, I can get a full signal using the canon settings and rode video micro...