Shooting in RAW with a T4i - Stops after a couple of seconds

Started by muscularitalian, April 24, 2017, 05:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muscularitalian

Hello all. New here. I have a Rebel t4i and I have ML installed on a 32GB 90MBS SD card. At first I was having issues getting raw video to even shoot but I reset the ML config to default and it the raw on button showed up under the video menu (I shot a 15 min long video for testing purposes thinking I was in raw the whole time lol long story)...But I noticed when I do put RAW on im only able to shoot for legitimately 3 seconds then it shuts off? Is that because of my SD card? Not sure whats going on here?

Also whats the longest I can shoot in RAW with a T4I...Generally I make short videos that are around 15-20 minutes long (I am confused on the actual length I can record with the t4i, some say 29.59 minutes others say an hour and half or so. If any one can clear that up as well that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader using ExFAT file system.
Redo installation but *don't* format card in camera ever again or you will get FAT32 -> Stopping RAW/MLV recording after a few seconds.

There is no time limit with ML. Only battery discharged, heating and card storage gone zero will stop cam. No lost frames with MLV/RAW.
Using H.264 you will get a few lost frames after 29:59 min because ML has to restart recording.

Plain Canon will do 29:59 on T4i. T3i will stop at 29:59 or if recording size hits 4 GB (whatever comes first). H.264 recording will require up to about 5.6 MByte/s -> 12 minutes, give or take. Longer recordings for lower resolution.