Canon 6D RAW 60 fps Slow Mo + Twixtor

Started by Melvin Jose, August 18, 2016, 09:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melvin Jose

Hello everyone! I have been experimenting with 60 fps raw together with the Twixtor slowmotion plugin.
I'm kinda falling in love with the results I'm able to get. What do you guys think?

Camera: Canon 6D
Lens: Canon 20mm 2.8, Sigma 28mm 2.8  OM (adapted)
Resolution: 1824 x 466 upscaled to 1920 x 806
Color grade: Davinci Resolve 12
Edit: Adobe Premiere Pro

ph2007

The result very nice man.

how do you get 60fps from the 6D raw?
Can you post which version ML u are using and workflow?

I couldnt get 1824 x 766 when under 60fps.
once I change the canon menu to 720p 60fps.
My ML raw resolution dropped to 1824 x 616 (need to strech the vertical resolution and resulting more moire... )

Melvin Jose

Yeah that was a typo. I'm sorry.
It was 466px vertical resolution that I had to stretch out.

pmus2017

Beautiful film. I am a total beginner at colour correction/grading. I have Davinci Resolve 12. Do you use a specific LUT or look? Can you give a little detail about your workflow from flat image to colour graded. Any advice most appreciated!

Melvin Jose

Quote from: pmus2017 on March 03, 2017, 05:40:15 PM
Beautiful film. I am a total beginner at colour correction/grading. I have Davinci Resolve 12. Do you use a specific LUT or look? Can you give a little detail about your workflow from flat image to colour graded. Any advice most appreciated!

That's a loaded question. I use a LUT to create a flat profile before anything. Than I add a LUT that I like, assuming the color balance is correct I do some color adjustments to get it to my liking. I also desaturate the shadows and highlights to get a better falloff. In the final node I add some subtle sharpening.
I have created a base preset that I apply to almost all my footage. I came to this preset after a lot of time experimenting and tweaking.
If you want to start of well I recommend you watch Juan Melara's old video. You can find it on his blog.

bpv5P

Hey Melvin, good job. I like your video essays (seems to be quite inspired by Nerdwriter1), although I would suggest you go a bit beyond and start to talk about philosophy and/or science. I'd recommend you a yt channel called "Shots of Awe", it has some pretty good videos.

About your workflow, are you using ImpulZ? The greens and yellow seem to be approximated to the reds, which make it very "teal and orange" kind of coloration. I do like it, but (I don't know you guys), I'm getting a little sick of all this teal and orange thing. People should go beyond just two colors.

I really like this transition effect too.

Melvin Jose

Quote from: bpv5P on April 05, 2017, 03:17:48 AM
Hey Melvin, good job. I like your video essays (seems to be quite inspired by Nerdwriter1), although I would suggest you go a bit beyond and start to talk about philosophy and/or science. I'd recommend you a yt channel called "Shots of Awe", it has some pretty good videos.

About your workflow, are you using ImpulZ? The greens and yellow seem to be approximated to the reds, which make it very "teal and orange" kind of coloration. I do like it, but (I don't know you guys), I'm getting a little sick of all this teal and orange thing. People should go people just two colors.

I really like this transition effect too.

Awesome that you like my video. I do enjoy Nerdwriter1 quite a bit yes. The essay type of video is not really my kind of jam. These voiceovers are a result of me having conversations with myself mixed with showerthoughts. I'd like to keep it simple like that. Shots of Awe seems like a cool channel. I think I have seen a video by him before. Can't really remember.

I used to experiment with ImpulZ yes, but I like the luts by IWLTBAP more. I get what you're saying about the orange/teal look. I try to go for a bit more greenish desaturated look, but people really seem to like the orange/teal. As far as color grading goes, it's actually Juan Melara that got me excited for it trough his blog. To bad he's not active anymore.

The transitions are called smooth transitions and have blown up in popularity on YouTube and Instagram lately. Everybody and their moms are using them because of Sam Kolder.