crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Flatframe for each lens is needed. Not sure of the ideal f-stop when it comes to flat frames. I had good results with around f5.6. I used light from a strong in door lamp. Pointing to the sky is probably better.
Since you are getting better results with --force stripes with the steroid version it indicates that mlv_dump is either using different code or isn't always on.
There are newer and older vertical stripes code so it could be an idea to compare those maybe? I think steroid version is using what is used in mlvfs(older mlv_dump code), havn't checked.

D_Odell

If someone had and found a solution to crop rec: cache is locked down? How do you free it?
Thanks!
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

Danne

D_Odell

D_Odell

Also the colour green is now yellow or orange in Live view. Will update how the dng:s are. Weird, when removing a perfectly balanced ND 9 filter the colours are good again.

Danne

Here´s some more testing around HDR filmed like this:

Added darkframe averaged file to cleanest image possible(decompressed). Note that adding darkframe in this case probably won´t make much difference. Already got plenty light to work with.
Tried combining with an averaged flatframe file but got weird results. Didn´t test with flatframe solely.

Settings in Crop mode:
1920 50/60 3x3 (PAL) 50fps

RAW video settings:
1720x960 50fps(continuous)
Processed with after effects HDR finished result 25fps

With some trickery I use a HDR AE template in cr2hdr.app which goes through aerender(command line render engine in after effects). In main menu select (p) then (23) for a template. Your MLV files have to be transcoded into folders with dng files through cr2hdr.app.

There is a bug with 1920 50/60 3x3 setting. Once you exit liveview after filming you can´t open liveview again without getting a completely black screen. Exiting the selected mode opening up liveview and reselecting the mode will make it work again.

Some examples:

Movie sequence checking movement and ghosting related to 50fps

Wayne H

Tested the 3.5k crop mode 3584x1320 on the lowest compression setting (11-8bit) Lossless, to see how it holds up, pretty pleased with how stable it is, no dropped frames or automatic stoppage's despite shooting some highly detailed scenes, it also preserved excellent colour detail too, fantastic job Alex.

As usual liveview is a challenge to work with, but workable with some extra attention, also there one clip that is standard 1920x804 cuts very well with the crop clips, see if any of you can guess which one it is?

EF70-200
FCPX, Colour Finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0BL_Ci9po&t=5s

bastonford

Hi folks - recent convert from GH4 and love it. I noticed your comment below @g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 04, 2017, 12:26:31 AM
having patches on my disk.
wont take too long.

I assume that maps to this PR: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/837/mlv_snd-and-dual_iso-support-for-mlv_lite ? If so, would have some testing done help at all? Happy compiling and checking it out on the 5d3 if that's of use.

John

Kharak

@A1ex

Just tested the June 19th Build, it fixed the ISO 100 Raw Zebras bug and Histogram bug. Thank you very much!

Not that I use the h264 Spotmeter for exposure, but just tested it aswell. Instead of maxing out at 96%, it maxes at 97%. Don't think it matters for the 3x3 60p mode, its Raw only right? just so you know. Personally I don't use h264, ever.
once you go raw you never go back

a1ex

Quote from: bastonford on June 26, 2017, 02:30:48 PM
Happy compiling and checking it out on the 5d3 if that's of use.

Yes, please.

Quote from: Kharak on June 26, 2017, 05:11:36 PM
Not that I use the h264 Spotmeter for exposure, but just tested it aswell. Instead of maxing out at 96%, it maxes at 97%. Don't think it matters for the 3x3 60p mode, its Raw only right?

If it's a percentage or RGB, it's YUV-based. If it's EV, it's RAW-based.

(Side note: I think I'd also like a Kelvin spotmeter)

nikki

Quote from: Wayne H on June 24, 2017, 06:49:45 PM
Tested the 3.5k crop mode 3584x1320 on the lowest compression setting (11-8bit) Lossless, to see how it holds up, pretty pleased with how stable it is, no dropped frames or automatic stoppage's despite shooting some highly detailed scenes, it also preserved excellent colour detail too, fantastic job Alex.

As usual liveview is a challenge to work with, but workable with some extra attention, also there one clip that is standard 1920x804 cuts very well with the crop clips, see if any of you can guess which one it is?

EF70-200
FCPX, Colour Finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0BL_Ci9po&t=5s

what was you post workflow on this?

Kharak

@a1ex

June 19th Build:

fir 123

I can not playback 14 bpp lossless - 3x3 60p in camera. Just a lot of noise and flickering.

Kharak

Quote from: a1ex on June 26, 2017, 05:20:47 PM
(Side note: I think I'd also like a Kelvin spotmeter)

That sounds really cool, so if I understand correctly I could measure the Kelvin Temperature instead of exposure? Does any camera do that?, I never even thought about that possibility. Would it measure on a RAW basis or depending on the liveview "colours", could a Picture Profile skew it?

That would be a tremendous help in mixed lighting.

mr.smith

Can I ask some questions here about 5D3's experimental build?
I don't know where to ask. If it is wrong place, I apologize.

I always think that why there is no standard resolution such as below?
Are these size so difficult to build?
Probably I think almost people using ML on 5D3 wish for them below.

2880x1620(3K HD 16:9)
3072x1620(3K 1.9:1)
3840x2160(4K UHD 16:9)
4096x2160(4K 1.9:1)

Why is it only incomplete resolution now, such as 3072x1920 or 3840x1600?

I want to use 4096x2560 for the stabilized footage of 3840x2160.
Is it impossible to record at 24p?
(8bit, 10bit or 12bit raw is fine. H.264 is also fine.)
Can someone please make it?

I don't want to push the crop button.
Is it impossible to be crop mode from the beginning?
I think it seems save time. What do you think?

I want to participate in ML development, but I don't have the knowledge of it.
What should I study for ML development?

Always thank you for development of ML.
You saved my old 5D3 camera.
I want to use it on the 4k field.

Hope your reply soon.

bastonford

Quote from: a1ex on June 26, 2017, 05:20:47 PM
Yes, please.

So compiling the PR for audio (with the 11 commits to crop_rec_4k since it was opened), gives me the following on 5D3.113:

- Modules enable fine and I can enable mlv_sound in the sound menu
- Sound records in MLV videos in full-sensor mode
- Sometimes when hitting stop, there is an error message on screen stating that "sound did not stop: state 5", however I can't reliably recreate it.
- There seems to be significantly more write speed required than "advertised" when sound is on - my slower Sandisk Extreme 120 card can't keep up for more than 400 frames with sound, when it can go continuous compressed raw without. Lexar Pro 1066x card is fine at 3k 2.39 though.

I'm a bit unsure of what the outcome should be when recording sound in the new crop_rec mode. There is a WAV output at the end of the run with mlv_dump, but it is only 44 bytes on crop_rec videos. Still new around here - is mlv_dump another compilation target within the magic lantern repo? I'll get googling.

Will report back as I come across more.

Wayne H

Quote from: nikki on June 26, 2017, 09:09:43 PM
what was you post workflow on this?

Hi nikki, i imported all MLV files into martin herings great mac app called FOOTAGE, corrected colour balance and then applied C Log, exported to prores 4444.

Setup a 4k timeline within FCPX, imported the 3584x1320 MLVs and used Color Finale Pro to add alexa LOG C LUT, from lut utility within color finale, then used the colour wheels and vectors to colour grade.

Exported as a 4K H.264 file and uploaded to youtube as a 4K file.

Kharak

@a1ex

I was reading in the MLV_Play thread that disabling raw_twk should make playback work, I tried that and it did not work on 60p mode, "No decompression in this mode".
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9062.msg186484;topicseen#msg186484 the thread.

Does raw_twk affect recording in any way? I've just had it on all the time since lossless was released, I forgot about it, does it have any other purpose than speeding up playback? (which was it's original intent, AFAIK)

D_Odell

Since I only use older lenses (nFD glas), around 30-40 years of age. Would it be better to choose a mode that uses the center parts of the sensor more than the higher part of lens glas? In my experience the UHD options render only from the top part of the sensor while center, yeah is center.

Any thoughts on which options is best to use, I mean in terms of lens qualities and DNGs to use?

Option 1: UHD 1:1 3232 x 1376
Center crop 3,5k: 3232 x 1376

From a sequence I shot today I experienced a lot of CA and bleeding. Maybe it's just the lens quality?

DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffr4mgcz0argy7o/M28-1359_001359.dng?dl=0
This one uses UHD 1:1 option.

Kharak

All lenses normally have most sharpness in the Center, so it should always be the best option unless you want CA.

D_Odell

Realised that crop-rec 3,5k doesn't cooperate as well as UHD at higher resolution. Anyone experienced the same?

lostfeliz

@bastonford, so glad you're compiling this! Good luck with it. For either run & gun with a Rode VidPro or for dual system audio having the WAV recording in the 5Diii is huge help. It'll add years of usefulness to my camera.

Great to hear you're getting continuous 3k and sound.

I stopped playing with card spanning a long time ago but I always thought it'd be great if the audio could write to the SD card while the video wrote to the CF card. I'm guessing there are underlying Canon issues keeping that from happening or that it doesn't help write speeds at all.

Quote from: bastonford on June 27, 2017, 07:43:13 PM
So compiling the PR for audio (with the 11 commits to crop_rec_4k since it was opened), gives me the following on 5D3.113:

- Modules enable fine and I can enable mlv_sound in the sound menu
- Sound records in MLV videos in full-sensor mode
- Sometimes when hitting stop, there is an error message on screen stating that "sound did not stop: state 5", however I can't reliably recreate it.
- There seems to be significantly more write speed required than "advertised" when sound is on - my slower Sandisk Extreme 120 card can't keep up for more than 400 frames with sound, when it can go continuous compressed raw without. Lexar Pro 1066x card is fine at 3k 2.39 though.

I'm a bit unsure of what the outcome should be when recording sound in the new crop_rec mode. There is a WAV output at the end of the run with mlv_dump, but it is only 44 bytes on crop_rec videos. Still new around here - is mlv_dump another compilation target within the magic lantern repo? I'll get googling.

Will report back as I come across more.

bastonford

I'm still a little stuck on this - Footage and mlv_dump seem pretty convinced there is sound in there for higher resolutions looking at the metadata, but when exported it's just an empty WAV file. I'm still trying to work out if this an in-camera thing or mlv_dump that isn't doing the right thing.

I have to say though, on the 5d3, the FF 1080p 14bit is stunning quality if you de-bayer it onto a 4k timeline in Resolve, rather than upscaling the video at the end of mastering it. Obviously 4k is way slower to work with, so I tend to edit in on a DCI2k 2.39 timeline, and then just flick the timeline resolution up to the 4k option before delivery. Not saying that higher resolutions aren't necessary, but the most exciting thing for me is 14 bit compressed RAW with audio - a ~45% space saving makes a huge difference on bigger projects!

bastonford

Compiling the latest state of the "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd" branch gives me this error on all takes using the 3k 1:1 mode.

ML ASSERT:
slots[slot_index].size < max_frame_size
at mlv_lite.c:3335 (raw_video_rec_task), task raw_rec_task
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2017Jul03.5D3113
Mercurial changeset   : 1ed473161338 (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd)
Built on 2017-07-03 20:05:26 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 134K + 3091K

This is with a Lexar 1066 card, and it seems to run fine for about 8-10 seconds and then bug out with that error dumped to the card. This is mlv_sound module enabled and the module turned on in the audio menu. On the normal crop_rec branch the 3k is continuous without any issues.

g3gg0

okay interesting.

can you tell me the exact settings so i can try to reproduce?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

bastonford

Of course - thanks for looking into it.

5D3.113 build of commit 1ed47316133855e7f459c98ec52f4e79e4f27952

Modules enabled:
- bench
- crop_rec
- mlv_lite
- mlv_play
- mlv_sound

Sound enabled in the Audio menu

Canon settings:
1080/24P All-I

ML Movie settings:
FPS override off or exact 23.976 (doesn't seem to matter which)
Image Fine Tuning -> Shutter +0.84ms (1/48)
Crop mode either 3k or UHD 1:1
Resolution 3072 in 2.39 crop
SRM memory enabled (disabling it shortens record time for me)
14bit lossless

Edit: Global Draw in auto mode

Happy to try anything to help - just let me know! Does this work for you? What are you using to convert the MLV files?

John